X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prommer
    • Dec 2010

Mahler 3 - LSO, Bychkov

This is coming up on Sunday, and I cannot wait - one of my favourite symphonies. Can anyone tell me anything about Bychkov's way with Mahler? I am great admirer of his Wagner at Covent Garden, but know his Mahler not. I know I will soon find out, but still...
  • cloughie
    • Dec 2011

Originally posted by Prommer View Post
    This is coming up on Sunday, and I cannot wait - one of my favourite symphonies. Can anyone tell me anything about Bychkov's way with Mahler? I am great admirer of his Wagner at Covent Garden, but know his Mahler not. I know I will soon find out, but still...
    Where and when?

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Not on R3 for us in the sticks then, and I was getting interested! April fool?

Comment

• Prommer
          • Dec 2010

Why is it not on R3? I hadn't checked simply because I happen to be going but surely worth taking a microphone along...? Please note at Broadcasting House... anyone out there?!

Comment

• amateur51

A complete performance of Mahler symphony no 3 conducted by Semyon Bychkov

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

I was present in the Musikverein, Vienna, in May 2008 when Bychkov stood in for an ailing Mariss Jansons and conducted the VPO in a stunning performance of the Mahler 3. It was one of those performances that stay with you for the rest of your life. Go with confidence and enjoy!
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                • Nov 2010

My displeasure at having to spend Sunday night in London was greatly reduced when I found out that the usual LSO concert was this one - much looking forward to it

Comment

• Prommer
                  • Dec 2010

Oh well - that has bucked me up no end! I still have the Lucerne FO from the 2007 Proms under Abbado ringing in my ears though...

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Presumably as it's the LSO it will be recorded & released on their label?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                      Presumably as it's the LSO it will be recorded & released on their label?
                      Not necessarily, Flossie; aren't the Mahler recordings reserved for Gergiev? (Just as I don't think there'll be any further Berlioz or Sibelius recordings on the LSO label?)
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                        Not necessarily, Flossie; aren't the Mahler recordings reserved for Gergiev? (Just as I don't think there'll be any further Berlioz or Sibelius recordings on the LSO label?)
                        Probably correct there, FHG, but both Jansons and Gergiev have had Mahler 6 issued on LSO Live so there is a precedent.
                        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          Probably correct there, FHG, but both Jansons and Gergiev have had Mahler 6 issued on LSO Live so there is a precedent.
                          Fingers crossed!
                          [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Chris Newman
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Fingers crossed indeed that LSOlive take the plunge. The two concerts I have heard live with Semyon Bychkov and the BBCSO rank among the most powerful musical experiences of my life. Like Carlos Kleiber he now prefers being a freelance but happily has a much wider repertoire. He teaches at the Royal Academy of Music. He is the double of the late actor Miles Malleson

Comment

• makropulos
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Chris Newman View Post
                              Fingers crossed indeed that LSOlive take the plunge. The two concerts I have heard live with Semyon Bychkov and the BBCSO rank among the most powerful musical experiences of my life. Like Carlos Kleiber he now prefers being a freelance but happily has a much wider repertoire. He teaches at the Royal Academy of Music. He is the double of the late actor Miles Malleson
                              https://www.google.co.uk/search?hl=e...NuPJ0QXqre27DQ
                              I do so agree, Chris. He's a tremendous conductor, and one who patiently worked away in Cologne (getting better and wiser) after a very high-profile early career. One of the conductors I'll very happily hear doing anything these days.

I was so used to seeing Miles Malleson in old age as dotty vicars and such like that I hadn't thought of the look-alike - but you're quite right !

Comment

Working...
                              X