X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Leonskaya Chopin recital

I do hope that others hear this lovely recital as it is broadcast (HD unavailable on iplayer) as the sound quality is wonderful; a fine player at a grand piano reproduced with great fidelity and wide dynamic range.
    Contrast say to the just released Anderszewski Schumann disc which is full of wonderful things musically and unusual repertoire but with sub-standard piano sound.
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    a fine player at a grand piano reproduced with great fidelity and wide dynamic range.
    Listening as well - but aren't her ffs just a bit too un-Chopinesque? Just wondering.

That said - that's the kind of piano sound I absolutely adore!
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gradus
      • Nov 2010

Unfortunately I have to go out in a few mins so will have to hear the Ballade on the car radio!

Comment

• Pianorak
        • Nov 2010

Do concentrate on the driving!!
        My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Peter Katin
          Late member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pianorak View Post
          aren't her ffs just a bit too un-Chopinesque?
          Yes, they're pretty rough - I worry about what seems to be a somewhat cavalier treatment of Chopin. And what on earth was she doing in the first page of the 2nd Ballade? This Chopin is restless in all the wrong places, or so it seemed to me.

Comment

• Keybawd

I have never understood why Leonskaya is so highly rated. Yes, I know she was virtually Richter's protegé - but it seems to me that she inherited all the things I don't like in Richter's Chopin playing. The sforzatti and the machine-like forward thrust. Moreover I don't think her qualities compensate for the feeling of unrest I find in her playing. But chaqu'un ...

I shall certainly try to get Anderszewski's Schumann CD. I heard a couple of pieces from it on the BBC. Anderszewski is one of the pianists I most admire - beautiful, revelatory playing without any show - that's my kind of pianist.

Comment

• Simon

In contrast, I've found this young lady unsurpassable in Chopin.

Have a look here at the Db Nocturne - Chopin at his most Chopinesque, for me.

Now available on itunes! https://music.apple.com/ca/album/chopin-recital/1495167562I went through love-hate "relationship" with this Nocturne. When I was ask...

Also worth hearing is her Eb Op9 one - better than all the others out there, and the equal of Horowitz, in my opinion.

bws Simon
              Last edited by Guest; 31-12-10, 00:09.

Comment

• Pianorak
                • Nov 2010

I agree - and have been a fan of hers for quite a while when a Polish friend of mine first drew my attention to her outstanding artistry.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                  In contrast, I've found this young lady unsurpassable in Chopin.

Have a look here at the Db Nocturne - Chopin at his most Chopinesque, for me.

Now available on itunes! https://music.apple.com/ca/album/chopin-recital/1495167562I went through love-hate "relationship" with this Nocturne. When I was ask...

Also worth hearing is her Eb Op9 one - better than all the others out there, and the equal of Horowitz, in my opinion.

bws Simon
                  Unsurpassable?

Really?

Here's a video of Maurizio Pollini playing the Chopin Nocturne no. 8 op. 27 no. 2.

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Dinu Lipatti - Chopin Nocturne No2 op 27 in D flat MajorMore information about Dinu Lipatti (and Clara Haskil, another great piano player) you can find on h...

Dinu Lipatti play this Nocturne in a legendary studio recording. This is a live and the audio quality is bad. I thing is interesting to compare a live perfor...

Comment

Working...
                  X