X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Hornspieler
    • Jul 2024

Runnicles and the BBC SSO in Brahms and Schumann Tomorrow 22nd at 7.30bm

Don't miss this one. You've got a week of Schubert coming up!

HS

Apologies for the typo in the title. FF please correct same.
  • amateur51

Details of the programme are:

Detlev Glanert: Brahms-Fantasie (world premiere)
    Brahms: Alto Rhapsody
    Schumann: Symphony No. 4 (original version)

8.30pm Interval
    Jamie MacDougall speaks to tonight's soloist, Sarah Connolly, and we hear a selection of her recent recordings of songs by Schumann, Brahms and Kurt Weill.

Brahms: Symphony No. 1

Sarah Connolly (mezzo-soprano)
    Men of the Edinburgh Festival Chorus
    BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
    Donald Runnicles (conductor).

Comment

• mercia
      • Nov 2010

an idle thought - are contemporary works programmed first so that one can, so to speak, recover from (forget ?) them, by the end of the concert ?

Comment

• cloughie
        • Dec 2011

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
        Details of the programme are:

Detlev Glanert: Brahms-Fantasie (world premiere)
        Brahms: Alto Rhapsody
        Schumann: Symphony No. 4 (original version)

8.30pm Interval
        Jamie MacDougall speaks to tonight's soloist, Sarah Connolly, and we hear a selection of her recent recordings of songs by Schumann, Brahms and Kurt Weill.

Brahms: Symphony No. 1

Sarah Connolly (mezzo-soprano)
        Men of the Edinburgh Festival Chorus
        BBC Scottish Symphony Orchestra
        Donald Runnicles (conductor).
        Notice it's the original Schumann 4 - Had I never heard the revised version I would probably like it, but I now find it an inadequate substitute for the real thing.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by mercia View Post
          an idle thought - are contemporary works programmed first so that one can, so to speak, recover from (forget ?) them, by the end of the concert ?
          Or is it to ensure that people are not deterred from returning for the second half?

The number of times Solti programmed John McCabe's 'Chagall Windows' in the first part of his concerts, yet I've not heard it since. Do others programme it?

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            Or is it to ensure that people are not deterred from returning for the second half?

The number of times Solti programmed John McCabe's 'Chagall Windows' in the first part of his concerts, yet I've not heard it since. Do others programme it?

Morning ams. Don'tknow the McCabe piece but there is a lovely Chagall window in Chichester Cathedral, I think, and if the music is as beautiful as that, wow.

Comment

• mercia
              • Nov 2010

so, is there a big difference between these Schumann versions ? - he asked ignorantly

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                Gone fishin'
                • Sep 2011

Or even to allow certain audience members to arrive late and avoid them altogether!

The McCabe Chagall Windows is a glorious piece - I didn't know Solti had ever performed it! If only there's a recording somewhere - it would make a great bedfellow to the excellent Loughran/EMI.
                [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• John Skelton

Yes, there is. The transition to the finale being the most striking. (I can't find a YouTube 1841 version to illustrate the two side by side, annoyingly). (In reply to mercia's "so, is there a big difference between these Schumann versions ?")

Comment

• kernelbogey
                    • Nov 2010

so, is there a big difference between these Schumann versions ? - he asked ignorantly
                    It would be good to hear the first versions of the four symphonies, together with the revisions, and possibly Mahler's arrangements, in close proximity, say over 2-3 weeks. Fat chance of R3 doing something like this these days.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                      It would be good to hear the first versions of the four symphonies, together with the revisions, and possibly Mahler's arrangements, in close proximity, say over 2-3 weeks. Fat chance of R3 doing something like this these days.
                      Ah! Just wait for the "Schumannathon" week!
                      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
                        That would be I plus a performance with the original opening in the horns (the only difference between the "first" version and the well known one; Solti did this , as well as JEG);
                        II and III as we know them;
                        IV in two versions;
                        all four of them in the Mahler revisions;
                        the Symphony in g-minor "Zwickau".

In total 11 different Schumann symphonies.

Comment

• Hornspieler

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                          That would be I plus a performance with the original opening in the horns (the only difference between the "first" version and the well known one; Solti did this , as well as JEG);
                          II and III as we know them;
                          IV in two versions;
                          all four of them in the Mahler revisions;
                          the Symphony in g-minor "Zwickau".

In total 11 different Schumann symphonies.
                          I have the Karajan recordings with the Berlin SO of both versions of Symphony Nº 4. Personally, I much prefer the revised version.
                          Being much more used to that one, listening last night, the introduction to the finale sounded to me as if the entire orchestra had turned over two pages by mistake.

A very well played (and sung) concert nevertheless with a fine Brahms Nº 1 to finish.

Tumultuous applause? Well, I don't know where the presenter got that idea from. To me, it sounded as if the hall was only half full.

HS

BTW I even quite enjoyed the first item.

Comment

• salymap
                            Late member
                            • Nov 2010

Just remembered I recorded it and haven't listened yet. From the bit I heard, I prefer the version of the Schumann 4 that I know.

OFF TOPIC I also recorded 'Sex and Sensibility: the Allure of Art Nouveau' which look fun, on BBC4 last night.

Comment

• salymap
                              Late member
                              • Nov 2010

Just listened again on my recording. Prefer the version we know of the Schumann 4, didn'tcare for the first work on second hearing, good Brahms though IMHO.

Comment

Working...
                              X