X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Dave2002
    • Dec 2010

Heard on R3

A couple of things heard and worthwhile on R3 during the last week. I heard both of these "blind", without knowing who the performers were.

Eugen Jochum's recording of Brahms 3 - on Classical Collection - on Thursday. This one really grabbed my attention, which with hindsight doesn't surprise me, as I only heard Jochum live once in Brahms 1, and that was a concert to remember. It was just so gripping from one end to the other. I shall now look out for the CD and check out his other Brahms recordings, though I have his 1st already.

Vilda Frang in Tchaikovsky violin concerto with the BBC Phil and Noseda on Friday - Afternoon on 3. This seemed much more than a merely good performance.

Both of these are still on the iPlayer.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

This is a worthwhile thread. I hope it encourages more R3 listening.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

Every day after Performance on 3 last week (and week before I think), the gap was filled with a number of very interesting works. As a matter of fact, I have found this Po3 Filler some of the most interesting time on Radio 3. The problem is, there is no play lists before or after. I wonder if anyone out there has kept the record.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
        Every day after Performance on 3 last week (and week before I think), the gap was filled with a number of very interesting works. As a matter of fact, I have found this Po3 Filler some of the most interesting time on Radio 3. The problem is, there is no play lists before or after. I wonder if anyone out there has kept the record.
        I agree. Those "Potter's Wheel" items can fire the imagination just as much as the programmed music.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Interesting this. I( mkust get more time to R3. At the moment very limited, due to work etc.
          Don’t cry for me
          I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• verismissimo
            • Nov 2010

Hurrah for Eugen Jochem. One of the greats!

Comment

• Norfolk Born

..but not as good as Eugen Jochum, perhaps?

Comment

• Peter Katin
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                I couldn't agree more, especially as I had the pleasure of working with him.

Comment

• Peter Katin
                  Late member
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                  (Jochum, actually). I couldn't agree more, especially as I had the pleasure of working with him.

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Peter Katin View Post
                    (Jochum, actually). I couldn't agree more, especially as I had the pleasure of working with him.
                    Jochum was the co-principle conductor of the Concertgebouw Orchestra 1961-1964 as an experienced conductor next to the then rather unexperienced Bernhard Haitink (as a kind of coach, though both denied this), who in 1964 became the sole principle conductor of that orchestra (and stayed there officially from 1961-1988)

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

That set of Brahm's 2 PCs is unsurpassable(Emil Gilels/BPO/Jochum)
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                        Host
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
                        Jochum was the co-principle conductor of the Concertgebouw Orchestra 1961-1964 as an experienced conductor next to the then rather unexperienced Bernhard Haitink (as a kind of coach, though both denied this), who in 1964 became the sole principle conductor of that orchestra (and stayed there officially from 1961-1988)
                        Jochum was a very fine conductor, but initially, my opinion of him was coloured by my first LP of Mozart's 36th Symphony. The lack of ensemble was staggering. Now and then, the greatest of conductors allow ragged playing to slip through the net.

Comment

• Gordon
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Dave2002 View Post
                          Eugen Jochum's recording of Brahms 3 - on Classical Collection - on Thursday.
                          Surely it was the AFO on December 9th?

I shall now look out for the CD and check out his other Brahms recordings, though I have his 1st already.
                          These LPO recordings from 1976 [Kingsway] are very fine. There was a 2 CD set but they don't seem to be currently available. However there is a download of the set plus overtures at Amazon - I got the set a couple of weeks ago and am listening through them again.

Fully agree about the PCs with Gilels - top notch. His set of Bruckner symphonies [EMI 573 905 2 Set Number] at Dresden is good too and showcases that wonderful orchestra to good effect.

Comment

• Dave2002
                            • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Gordon View Post
                            Surely it was the AFO on December 9th?
                            http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00wfxjb looks like Classical Collection on 16th to me.

These LPO recordings from 1976 [Kingsway] are very fine. There was a 2 CD set but they don't seem to be currently available.
                            I was surprised to see some of the prices on eBay, though as you say downloads are available. I hope these come round again on CD, or if we have to have downloads, in really high quality ones. I really don't want to pay highish prices merely for MP3s.

Comment

• Tevot
                              • Nov 2010

This is a worthwhile thread. I hope it encourages more R3 listening.

Hello Eine Alpensinfonie - I agree with your sentiments!

For example last Thursday's live afternoon concert with the BBC Philharmonic performing the Scenes Historiques suite by Sibelius. To hear Petri Sakari say that he had never heard the piece performed live in Finland just emphasises how important BBC Radio 3 is and in this context its orchestras such as the BBC Phil. Lovely music too :-)

Best wishes,

Tevot

Comment

Working...
                              X