Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Domeyhead
    • Sep 2024

Lunchtime Concert from the Wigmore Hall: Beethoven & Rachmaninov cello sonatas

At work with the headhones on, reviewing a turgid technical specification from a supplier, but my life is spared by a piano and cello concert of the utmost beauty this lunchtime from Beethoven and Rachmaninov. Outside the sun is bright, the wind biting, and I am reminded of all that is good about Radio 3. Quite why the controller thinks that producing an "entry level" diet of superficial and familiar pap in the mornings will lead listeners towards this magnificent music is beyond me. This music may itself once have graced the mornings on Radio 3 and has now been replaced by the daily tape of the Hovis ad by Dvorak, the Onedin Line by Khachaturian, and the British Airways ad by Delibes - all great musical pieces, but just a little too regular. Great music speaks entirely for itself. It doesn't need the vulgar touch of familiarity to entice listeners to it.
  • antongould
    • Nov 2010

It lead me and I got there and like you found it quite wonderful.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Domeyhead View Post
      At work with the headhones on, reviewing a turgid technical specification from a supplier, but my life is spared by a piano and cello concert of the utmost beauty this lunchtime from Beethoven and Rachmaninov. Outside the sun is bright, the wind biting, and I am reminded of all that is good about Radio 3. Quite why the controller thinks that producing an "entry level" diet of superficial and familiar pap in the mornings will lead listeners towards this magnificent music is beyond me. This music may itself once have graced the mornings on Radio 3 and has now been replaced by the daily tape of the Hovis ad by Dvorak, the Onedin Line by Khachaturian, and the British Airways ad by Delibes - all great musical pieces, but just a little too regular. Great music speaks entirely for itself. It doesn't need the vulgar touch of familiarity to entice listeners to it.
      Thanks Domeyhead. Repeated next Saturday at 2pm too.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

A great, heartfelt paragraph, Domey.

Totally concur - including about the recital which I heard on the car radio, driving amid the sun and the swirling stiff breeze with a smile on my face. Terrific Rachmaninov.

Last edited by Nick Armstrong; 05-03-12, 17:27.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Osborn

It would be courteous to copy comments on the recital (suitably edited) to the Live on Radio 3 thread - that's what it's for.

(But I suspect you just want to show how supercilious you can be towards the content of the Breakfast programme, its 700,000 listeners & RW. If you want, write to the programme, identify a specific weakness & offer a well argued improvement/solution.)

Comment

• antongould
            • Nov 2010

I would have to say good point well, if forcibly, made!!

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
              • Nov 2010

Thanks DH,listened this evening,music making of the highest order.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

I agree, it was a fine concert.

Comment

• Domeyhead

Originally posted by Osborn View Post
                  It would be courteous to copy comments on the recital (suitably edited) to the Live on Radio 3 thread - that's what it's for.

(But I suspect you just want to show how supercilious you can be towards the content of the Breakfast programme, its 700,000 listeners & RW. If you want, write to the programme, identify a specific weakness & offer a well argued improvement/solution.)
                  I have indeed been in regular contact with the editor and presenters of the breakfast program, and had interesting dialogues but do not copy what are personal replies onto this forum as it would be discourteous.
                  Your reply was a little presumptive, not to say graceless, and if you care to look in the "What's wrong with Breakfast" you will see that I started the thread with exactly what you have suggested, and those same points have been made by myself and several others no doubt, at various levels within Radio 3's hierarchy. Supercillious indeed! <snorts and harumphs in curmudgeonly manner>.

Comment

Working...
                  X