• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Angela Hewitt playing in Turangalîla-symphonie

Well, did anyone here listen this afternoon, or catch (or intend to catch) it via the iPlayer? I've not listened yet, but it looks very enticing.
  • Mahlerei

Thanks for the heads up, Bryn.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Heard the last half:

The recording really brought out the Ondes, rather as I like - a positive presence, rather than just a background colour
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Barbirollians
        • Nov 2010

That is a bit of a departure ! What next someone discovers a recording of Rosalyn Tureck playing Moskowski ? or Cziffra playing Buxtehude.

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

One of my first Messiaen piano discs was an Angela Hewitt recital on Hyperion.

Her Beethoven Sonata cycle seems to have dried up.

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

The performance as a whole seemed tentative to me. The Piano and Ondes Martinot were clear and expressive but the recessed orchestral sound and generally slow tempi (rather surprisingly) adopted by Kent Nagano made it unusally mechanical and sombre. Some much loved passages swam in and out of focus.

I was disappointed especially after recently listening to Charles Groves's wonderful Prom performance on fellow-boarder Clive Heath's Website http://www.cliveheathmusic.co.uk/tapes.php and a stonkingly grand performance a couple of years back by Esa-Pekka Salonen and the Philharmonia at Basingstoke Anvil.

Comment

Working...
            X