X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
    From what limited knowledge you have, how would you describe Bell's music, Stanfordian?
    Have a look at this link for this review which describes Bell's music well:

Comment

• PJPJ
      • Nov 2010

I think Bell was Sir J B McEwen's brother-in-law. Bell's remit was to found a Southern Hemisphere version of the RAM. Much loved in Cape Town, he was known as "Daddy Bell", and I was delighted his South African Symphony, his fourth, appeared on Marco Polo some years ago. Raie da Costa, and, I assume, Harry Jacobson, were both pupils - both had success in lighter music - Da Costa's Liszt-Verdi Rigoletto paraphrase displays wonderful playing.
      Last edited by PJPJ; 26-10-11, 16:56.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
        • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
        Have a look at this link for this review which describes Bell's music well:
        http://www.musicweb-international.co...l_CDLX7216.htm
        Thanks for that review, Stanfordian.

Comment

• Stanfordian
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
          I think Bell was Sir J B McEwen's brother-in-law. Bell's remit was to found a Southern Hemisphere version of the RAM. Much loved in Cape Town, he was known as "Daddy Bell", and I was delighted his South African Symphony, his fourth, appeared on Marco Polo some years ago. Raie da Costa, and, I assume, Harry Jacobson, were both pupils - both had success in lighter music - Da Costa's Liszt-Verdi Rigoletto paraphrase displays wonderful playing.
          I was wondering where you found out about WH Bell being Sir JB McEwen's brother-in-law? I've not come across that before. Bell was a former student of the RCM and taught at the RAM. It was rare to move from one college to another. Rebecca Clarke did of course attend both the RAM and the RCM. Her father famously made her leave the RAM as a tutor got fresh with her and proposed marriage. For a nice insight into student life at the RAM and RCM Clarke’s book the ‘Rebecca Clarke Reader’ is worth obtaining. It was recalled but can be obtained from American booksellers.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post
            Thanks for that review, Stanfordian.
            Thumbs up from me to!!
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Biffo

The booklet that accompanies the Dutton recording of the Bell Viola Concerto has a 'personal memoir' by John Joubert. Joubert studied with Bell in South Africa and recalls '...Mrs Bell, sister of Sir John McEwen, one-time principal of the RAM'.

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
                I was wondering where you found out about WH Bell being Sir JB McEwen's brother-in-law? ......
                I did some research on Raie da Costa a few years ago and visited the Bell library, something I did often as a schoolboy in the 1960s. And the info may be in the Marco Polo booklet, too.
                Last edited by PJPJ; 27-10-11, 11:33.

Comment

Working...
                X