Das lied von der Erde - Sky Arts 31/1/12 and 1/2/12 - von Otter/Kaufmann/BPO/Abbado

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Barbirollians
    • Nov 2010

Das lied von der Erde - Sky Arts 31/1/12 and 1/2/12 - von Otter/Kaufmann/BPO/Abbado

I do not know whether this is the performance raved about on the BPO Concert Hall site but it is on Sky Arts 2 now and repeated at 2am .

I have only caught the last two songs but it is breathtaking- both soloists are marvellous and the playing and conducting is just straight to the heart of the music .

Sky + the 2am repeat !
  • VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    I do not know whether this is the performance raved about on the BPO Concert Hall site but it is on Sky Arts 2 now and repeated at 2am .

I have only caught the last two songs but it is breathtaking- both soloists are marvellous and the playing and conducting is just straight to the heart of the music .

Sky + the 2am repeat !
    Thanks. I'm about to set Sky+ for 2am.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Much like looking up an entry in Grove and being distracted by something else interesting, I found, while setting Sky+, that the programme currently on Sky Arts is a two hour profile of Philip Glass. It looks fascinating: seeing him discussing his music while preparing vegetables in his kitchen and the inevitable showing of childhood photos by proud relatives. That's repeated in the early hours too - so I've set that to record.

Comment

• Mr Pee
        • Nov 2010

Thanks for the pointer to this- I've set my Sky+ for the 2am repeat as well. At the moment I'm recording Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy from Sky Box Office!

And I've just noticed in next weeks Radio Times on Monday at 8pm on Sky Arts 1, "Here's a Piano I prepared earlier:- Experimental Music in the 1960s." Not usually my preferred listening, to put it mildly, but it might be interesting all the same.
        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post

Sky + the 2am repeat !
          Sadly, looks like I'm too late for this one, although hopefully it'll come round again.

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
          Thanks for the pointer to this- I've set my Sky+ for the 2am repeat as well. At the moment I'm recording Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy from Sky Box Office!

And I've just noticed in next weeks Radio Times on Monday at 8pm on Sky Arts 1, "Here's a Piano I prepared earlier:- Experimental Music in the 1960s." Not usually my preferred listening, to put it mildly, but it might be interesting all the same.
          Thanks for the tip off! I don't always check the listings so good to be made aware of the gems which surface on SkyArts.

Comment

• Parry1912
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
            Sadly, looks like I'm too late for this one, although hopefully it'll come round again.
            +1
            Del boy: “Get in, get out, don’t look back. That’s my motto!”

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

I am pretty sure that this has been on before SkyArts?
              Don’t cry for me
              I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post

Recorded that, and a related programme on the BBC Radiophonics crew when they were first broadcast. "Here's a Piano I Prepared Earlier" is very gimmicky. Silly use of telephones. Typical Victor Lewis-Smith job.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                  I am pretty sure that this has been on before SkyArts?
                  No, the Abbado concert was new.
                  Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Drat!! i just looki out for that then!!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Stunsworth
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                      It's on Sky Arts, it's bound to come round again, and again, and again...
                      Steve

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Originally posted by Stunsworth View Post
                        If programmes are to be repeated, I would certainly prefer them to be of a good quality, rather than repeats of Friends or East Enders, such as other channels give us.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                          • Nov 2010

And why not? Sky Arts broadcasts 24 hours a day. To fill 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days of the year with totally new arts programmes would be an impossible task. And when one is treated to such wonderful programming as the Mahler concert under discussion here, it is well worth repeating- and it does give BBM and others who may have missed it the chance to watch. Anyway, show me a channel that doesn't broadcast repeats- at least most of the Sky Arts repeats are worth a second viewing.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Panjandrum

And how much original classical music arts programming has been on the BBC lately? The recently broadcast programmes devoted to Elgar, Delius and Britten have all done the rounds many times before.

Comment

• VodkaDilc

Apologies for bringing up an old subject, but I have just watched this concert. Wonderful - especially Kaufmann.

Not wanting to bring up a controversial issue about the relative merits of our two major arts broadcasters, but it is so refreshing to watch the final applause without the dreaded voice-over. As the music ended, I subconsciously prepared myself for pointless twitterings (can we still use that word in its old sense?) about the impact of the concert on the presenter, the history of the work, the enthusiasm of the audience, the splendour of the hall and so on. But nothing - what luxury!

Comment

Working...
                              X