• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Roehre
    • Sep 2024

Kozeluch and Mozart

Radio 3 Live in concert

Kozeluch : Symphony nr.5 in g- minor (1787 !)

Mozart must have known this symphony, composed and premiered in Vienna in 1787.
    From Kozeluh’s finale Mozart consciously or unconsciously quotes the second subject, which can be heard three times in this mvt, in his own g-minor symphony (no.40 KV550, 1788).
    We not only find this quote back in Mozart’s work, but it shares a similar agitated tenor and mood too.

Comparing with other Sturm-und-Drang g-minor works, Mozart’s other g-minor (no.25 KV183) or e.g. Haydn’s (no.39, as well as no.83 “La Poule”) are different, show fewer similarities with a general agitated tenor among themselves and other works, than the similarities between Mozart 40 and Kozeluch 5.
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

I enjoyed that concert very much. Kozeluch has never crossed my horizon, so what a discovery. I'd also not come across this orchestra or Sarah-Jane Brandon before - will see if I can catch the Glyndebourne Touring performance of Figaro mentioned by PT in which she's singing.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

The Kozeluch G minor symphony has long been one of my favourite 18th century symphonies, it is a thoroughly engaging symphony. I've several other Kozeluch symphonies in my collection and find them excellent and rewarding works. I believe that Mozart and Kozeluch were never exactly on the best of terms, Kozeluch wasn't the easiest of people to get along with apparently.

Comment

Working...
      X