Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Very sad news - an especially fine conductor whose Nielsen cycle I treasure.

R.I.P.

Comment

• rubbernecker

Originally posted by Il Grande Inquisitor View Post
      The first half - Brahms' 2nd Piano Concerto with François-Frédéric Guy
      Fascinating! Caliban can possibly confirm, I think it was the same Brahms with Brendel as soloist for us.

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

For almost a year I used to have a 23 minute nocturnal (!!) commute to work. I can be so specific since I used to listen to his Sibelius 7 with the LPO (live) every journey. A wonderful performance that has never waned.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
          • Apr 2007

My very first orchestral concert, aged 16: Winchester Cathedral 29/7/71: Bournemouth SO/ Berglund - Handel Water Music suite No.1, Brhams Violin Concerto (Gyorgy Pauk), Sibelius 5. A very good place to start - many thanks PB and RIP.

[There's no place like Winchester Cathedral for hearing the last chords of the Sib last movement... At least I very much hope there isn't!]
          I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Mahlerei

Berglund seems to have passed me by, so I've just ordered his DSCH 8 with the Russian National Orchestra to hear what I've been missing.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
              • Nov 2010

PB tributes from the Helsingin Sanomat

I heard Berglund 3 times in concert, all in Europe, and I think that I even remember all the programs:

1. Gurzenich-Orchester, Cologne: Schubert 4 and Brahms 4 (I sat behind the orchestra)

2. NDR Symphony Orchestra:
              Mussorgsky: Khovanschina Prelude
              DSCH: Cello Concerto No. 1
              Tchaikovsky 4

3. Oslo Philharmonic: Sibelius, Kullervo

Comment

• Cornucopia

A great interpreter of Scandinavian music, but his talent did not stop there. For Bruckner and Brahms he also set a standard for others to follow and his readings of the Shostakovitch symphonies were of the finest.

RIP Paavo Berglund

CC

Comment

• amateur51

Paavo Berglund, conductor
                  Japan Philharmonic Orchestra
                  10 December 1971

Sibelius symphony no 5

Enjoy the videos and music you love, upload original content, and share it all with friends, family, and the world on YouTube.

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
                    • Nov 2010

His recordings of Sibelius Kullervo, Shostakovich 7 and Vaughan Williams 6 were my introductions to these works. A very fine and still underappreciated conductor IMO.

RIP

Comment

• Panjandrum

Love the story told here of his last interview with the doyen of them all.

Comment

• pastoralguy
                        • Nov 2010

How long will it be until Ron Shafferty is stopped in his tracks? (He probably doesn't here the words 'You're fired! through all the drivel)

Comment

• salymap
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

I never saw or heard Paavo Berglund but the missing VH/HS was very upset to hear of his death and wishes me to add his name to the messages here. He played in the recordings of Kullervo, Bruckner 3, Shostakovich 5 and broadcasts of Bruckner 4, and Sibelius 4 and 6, as well as producing for R3 broadcasts of Hary Janos and Shostakovich 7 and 10.

I wish I'd seen and heard PB conduct too, by the way.
                          Last edited by salymap; 28-01-12, 17:05.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Sad news . A fine conductor whose Sibelius I know best and magnificent accompanying Haendel not only in Sibelius but also Britten and Walton.

Comment

• Bryn
                              Banned
                              • Mar 2007

Having become decidedly enamoured of Berglund's Sibelius recordings I though it time I investigate his Nielsen symphonic survey, partly as a sort of act of hammage. I was surprised to find symphonies 1-4 at ridiculously low price via the amazon.co.uk marketplace, and numbers 5 & 6, though around three times the price, were still a bargain at under £6. However, I must admit to finding these performances a little lacking in rhythmic incisiveness when compared to the likes of Blomstedt or even Dausgaard. Not that there are not compensating aspects to these performances. Anyone know who the vocalist in the Sinfonia Espansiva as recorded by Berglund with the Royal Danish Orchestra? Strangely, they seem not to be credited in any of the associated paperwork.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                                • Nov 2010

Well another credit for Paavo Berglund - his pioneering Bournemouth recording has led me to enjoy and listen straight through to Kullervo a work I have previously found to be interminable.

Comment

Working...
                                X