X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • maestro267
    • Nov 2010

Shostakovich's Symphony No. 4 - 30 December 1961

Today marks 50 years to the day since the long-belated first performance of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 4 in C minor. The symphony was composed in 1936, but was withdrawn for 25 years and not premiered until 30 December 1961.
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by maestro267 View Post
    Today marks 50 years to the day since the long-belated first performance of Shostakovich's Symphony No. 4 in C minor. The symphony was composed in 1936, but was withdrawn for 25 years and not premiered until 30 December 1961.
    True as regards the full orchestral score. However, the composer's own two piano arrangement was performed to the delectation of interested parties on numerous occasion in the interim. It's still worth hearing today:

Comment

• umslopogaas
      • Nov 2010

Any offers for a preferred recording? I have Previn/Chicago SO, Ormandy/Philadelphia O (on both american and english CBS), Kondrashin/Moscow Phil,Haitink/LPO and a seldom-seen item, Kondrashin/Rozhdestvensky/Moscow State Phil. Soc. SO. I think if I could only have one, it would be Ormandy on the american label: this is apparently the "american recording premiere" from 1963.

The Kondrashin/Rozhdestvensky version is a 2 LP box set which names both conductors on the cover, but there is no mention of Rozhdestvensky on the labels, both the symphony and the filler 'Hamlet' suite are said to be conducted by Kondrashin. Does anyone know if they made a mistake with the labelling? The records are russian MK label and there are no notes in my set.

Comment

• Mahlerei

Kondrashin (Moscow and Dresden) are indispensable, I think. Of more recent recordings Mark Wigglesworth (BIS) and Daniel Raiskin (C-Avi) stand out from teh crowd.

Comment

• Curalach

The Daniel Raiskin performance is well worth a visit. I downloaded it in mp3 from Amazon for £2.37 following a recommendation on the Bargains thread. Thrilling performance from forces totally unknown to me.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

'Tho', sadly, I haven't heard either of the "more recent" discs Mahlerei mentions, for an astonishing combination of structural control and passionate abandon, Haitink and the LPO has always been my prefered recording of this terrific and terrifying masterpiece.
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
              Banned
              • Mar 2007

The 1971 'live' Concertgebouw/Kondrashin for me.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

I went to the LPO/Haitink concert at the RFH and I think in the first half they had LvB's PC No.4(?). Alfred Brendel certainly played!

As for recordings: NDR SO(Barshai); Bavarian RSO/Jansons; RSNO/Jarvi.
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                  Banned
                  • Jul 2011

It's the very sound, texture and sonority, of Kondrashin's Moscow recordings that seems essential for me - a dark, demonic quality which melds perfectly with the phrasing; controlled yet driven. Remarkably good sound in the later stereo remasters too. Comparing the opening in the mono Dresden 1963 performance with the Moscow one of a year earlier, that dark power is all there in the Staatskapelle, but in Moscow the malevolent glint and snarl of the brass - so truly Russian - makes the difference. And I hear a ghostly character in the violins at the start of the 2nd movement, especially in the stereo version, which is hard to find anywhere else.

Comment

From Haitink and Previn via at least 30 other recordings in various formats to Caetani fairly recently I have played this symphony more than any other.I am eagerly awaiting the Raiskin version which is on its way from Guensey.The Previn/Chicago and Haitink/LPO were on LP and I have replaced them on CD long ago.Of all the versions I would put the various Kondrashins and Caetanl at the top.I also like the broadcast of BBCPO/Sinaisky that was part of the Shostakovich and his Heroes concerts from Manchester.Was it as long ago as 2006?

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by 338 View Post
                      From Haitink and Previn via at least 30 other recordings in various formats to Caetani fairly recently I have played this symphony more than any other.I am eagerly awaiting the Raiskin version which is on its way from Guensey.The Previn/Chicago and Haitink/LPO were on LP and I have replaced them on CD long ago.Of all the versions I would put the various Kondrashins and Caetanl at the top.I also like the broadcast of BBCPO/Sinaisky that was part of the Shostakovich and his Heroes concerts from Manchester.Was it as long ago as 2006?
                      There was also a very fine Prom performance in 2000 from Sinaisky and the BBCPO happily preserved on a BBC Music Mag CD. Well worth seeking out.

I have a mere 10 versions on my shelves and while I would put LPO/Haitink at the top of my list, I must agree with JLW regarding the Kondrashin/Moscow PO account. Here is authenticity with a capital A. Among other versions, I hold a special affection for a live 1981 recording from Rozhdestvensky and the Bolshoi Theatre Orchestra that was briefly available on Russian Disc.
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• HighlandDougie
                        • Nov 2010

Any excuse to add another recording of this - for me - ever-astonishing work so Caetani (which I've never heard) duly ordered from French Amazon marketplace. Agree wholeheartedly with others about Kondrashin, especially the re-mastered version in the Melodiya box of the complete symphonies - indispensable. The Raiskin is a thrillingly live performance with some rough orchestral moments which add to rather than detract from the atmosphere - very grateful to Mahlerei for drawing it to our attention. And I like Wigglesworth very much, especially in the final movement. But what an extraordinary piece of music - the greatest symphony that Mahler never wrote?

Comment

• ahinton
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                          But what an extraordinary piece of music - the greatest symphony that Mahler never wrote?
                          Indeed - and he wasn't even thirty when he completed it! Bah!...

Comment

• Flay
                            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
                            Any excuse to add another recording of this ....... - the greatest symphony that Mahler never wrote?
                            I thought we were discussing Shosty? You been on the Tennents, Dougie?

I have never managed to listen to a whole performance of the 4th. I have never felt in the mood for it.

I feel a New Year resolution coming on...
                            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Barbirollians
                              • Nov 2010

Rattle !

Comment

Working...
                              X