• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jean
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mary Chambers View Post
    I can assure you that Peter Pears's opinion of Malcolm Sargent (however it's spelt) was the same as yours - and mine! Yet he was worshipped by audiences, and by the very old choir people I've met in the past who sang with him. Very strange.
    I's not my opinion, Mary - I quoted it from the blog that mercia linked to! I was far too young to have an opinion when I heard him. All I remember is that Messiah was very long indeed (and very turgid) and I always loved the trumpet obbligato bit both for itself (I still do!) and because it meant we were getting to the end. I think the Amen chorus is pretty good, too.

My father was one of those very old choir people who worshipped Malcolm Sargent, though.

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Mary Chambers and jean.

Perhaps,just perhaps, Sargent's performances of Messiah were sold out because he got the b+ggers to really sing, {as Beecham pointed out], and was also the best choral trainer of his day. Pre HIPP of course.

Comment

• Mary Chambers
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
        Mary Chambers and jean.

Perhaps,just perhaps, Sargent's performances of Messiah were sold out because he got the b+ggers to really sing, {as Beecham pointed out], and was also the best choral trainer of his day. [laugh:
        If you like that kind of singing...... Most professional musicians I've come across seem to think he was a pain, though, and he certainly comes across that way, to me at least, on film.

Sorry, jean, didn't read you properly. I am at my son's and a bit distracted. Will have to stop indulging in musical exchanges and be nice to family, I'm afraid. Happy Christmas, everybody!

Comment

• subcontrabass
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by jean View Post
          I always loved the trumpet obbligato bit both for itself (I still do!)
          I always feel short-changed when we only get the normal short version of "The Trumpet Shall Sound".

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by subcontrabass View Post
            I always feel short-changed when we only get the normal short version of "The Trumpet Shall Sound".

I also like to hear the "extended" Pastoral Symphony that choirmasters seem to think "holds up the action".
            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post

I also like to hear the "extended" Pastoral Symphony that choirmasters seem to think "holds up the action".
              Agree with this and also with subcontrabass regarding The Trumpet Shall Sound. Much as I enjoyed last night's performance (which I've preserved on disc) we were short-changed on both counts.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Flosshilde
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                Agree with this and also with subcontrabass regarding The Trumpet Shall Sound. Much as I enjoyed last night's performance (which I've preserved on disc) we were short-changed on both counts.
                The Dunedin's Messiah (must give it a spin this week), based this on the first, Dublin, perfromance, gives 2.46 for the symphony, & 8.28 for The trumpet shall sound.
                In the notes, John Butt says that "Given that Handel seemed to have gone out of his way to enlarge the 'Pifa in the autograph and that the original short version is only positively documented for later perfromances, I have assumed that the longer version belonged to the Dublin perfromances". I can't see anything about The trumpet shall sound though. (Full notes on the Dunedin website).

Comment

• mangerton
                  • Nov 2010

I have this recording, and as 8:28 suggests, it is the full version with DC repeat.

Not really relevant to the thread, but the Dunedin version is the only one I have with the 12/8 version of "Rejoice greatly."

Comment

• Chris Newman
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by mangerton View Post
                    I have this recording, and as 8:28 suggests, it is the full version with DC repeat.

Not really relevant to the thread, but the Dunedin version is the only one I have with the 12/8 version of "Rejoice greatly."
                    Sir Charles Mackerras played the 12/8 version on his EMI recording. A delightful touch which so suits the words.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

That time signature? Hmmm, must make it sound so different?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                        That time signature? Hmmm, must make it sound so different?
                        It gives it a "jollier" spring in the step that I find totally infectious. The 2/4 version isn't exactly "sluggish", but is heavier in comparison (and only in such company!) to the jig-like 12/8 alternative.

Best Wishes.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Chris Newman
                          Late Member
                          • Nov 2010

Merry Christmas all Jiggers. I was going to use the expression jig-like, ferney, but thought I might get shot down as 12/8 isn't quite the same as 3/8 (official jig tempo). Anyway it makes a very jolly jig-like version which I agree is totally infectious. You can almost imagine an American chorus putting their arms up and swaying in time .

Comment

• Boilk
                            • Dec 2010

Shh ... silent monks singing Hallelujah

http://voxvocispublicus.homestead.com/Index.html

Apologies if posted already elsewhere.

Comment

• Bert Coules
                              • Nov 2010

Magnificent! But who are they, and where?

Comment

• Chris Newman
                                Late Member
                                • Nov 2010

I agree, Bert. They seem to be rather anonymous on YouTube: This lot are a bit more professional in their movements and thus funnier, though there are hundreds of Rag Day style Cabarets etc to choose from....

A rare mute monk order from Molalla Oregon performing the Hallelujah Chorus. PGMC Holiday Concert 2007.A special thanks to GMCLA for their contributions.

Comment

Working...
                                X