X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • amcluesent
    • Sep 2011

Bach's Christmas Oratorio, 22 Dec

FFS, all atmosphere ruined by Handley's witless blathering at every opportunity. Even the audience managed to stay silent but of course R3's presenters had to start gabbling away while that last note hung in the air.
    Last edited by amcluesent; 22-12-11, 21:37.
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

what was the performance like?

if I have time it will be an iPlayer affair

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Originally posted by amcluesent View Post
      FFS, all atmosphere ruined by Handley's witless blathering at every opportunity. Even the audience managed to stay silent but of course R3's presenters had to start gabbling away while that last note hung in the air.
      The last two years have been the worse, healthwise that I have ever experienced. Thankfully, all has now been resolved and I can look forward to 2012 with renewed hope and optimism, but it is rants like this one above that persuade me to take no further part on these message boards.

To quote from "The Dragons' Den" I'm Out.

Good luck to you all!

Ventilhorn

Comment

• salymap
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

Ventilhorn. please remember the 'Curate's Egg' Wasn't it good in parts? Take the good parts of the Boards and ignore the remainder, as I and others do.

I'm very glad to hear your health is now better. My back will never recover sadly, but the MBs are there when I wish to visit them and I have made some good friends. You are one of them. Leave your options open.

A very Happy Christmas from salymap.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
          • Nov 2010

Absolutely agreed and seconded, Salymap!

Comment

• makropulos
            • Nov 2010

I don't understand this. Having just listened to the whole thing on Listen Again, the announcer doesn't say anything at the end until the applause has been going on for about 10 seconds.

As for mercia's question, the last note that amcluesent said "hung in the air" was unfortunately split by one of the trumpets, but in general it was quite an enjoyable performance.

Comment

• David Underdown

That last note aside, from half-way back in SJSS itself it was a thoroughly enjoyable experience. I don't know if it was mentioned on air, but the choir sang from memory and remained standing throughout each individual cantata

Comment

• amcluesent
                • Sep 2011

the announcer doesn't say anything at the end
                Handley leaps in between each part though, giving listener the "benefit" of his unwanted views.

Comment

• Chris Newman
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

A beautiful performance by all concerned. Even with the hazards of live instrument playing I would be very happy to have it in CD.

Martin Handley is absolutely one of the best announcers and presenters on Radio 3. A practicing musician himself he always prepares himself eloquently and sets the tone for whatever kind of work we are about to hear or have just heard. He did not speak over any music in this concert and did not blather witlessly. I think this is clearly a case of the wrong side of the bed syndrome on the part of amcluesent.

Comment

• jean
                    Late member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by David Underdown View Post
                    ...I don't know if it was mentioned on air, but the choir sang from memory and remained standing throughout each individual cantata
                    It was mentioned that they sang from memory.

It's happening more and more these days - in this country, I mean; in places where people don't sight-read it's always been more common.

I wonder what the advantage is, apart from the singers being guaranteed to look at the counductor more, as they've got nowhere else to look!

Comment

• makropulos
                      • Nov 2010

Handley leaps in between each part though, giving listener the "benefit" of his unwanted views.
                      Not my impression listening to the performance this morning. Each time he appeared to wait for the applause to start. These things are no doubt subjective, but I didn't find anything objectionable in the presentation.

As others have noted, the performance was most enjoyable, and speaking for myself, I have to say that the way it was presented on the radio did nothing to detract from that.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by salymap View Post
                        Ventilhorn. please remember the 'Curate's Egg' Wasn't it good in parts?
                        Actually the egg was completely bad - but the curate, breakfasting with his bishop, didn't want to give offence by saying so.

Unlike Ventilhorn I take the bad parts of the Board (& Radio 3) with a pinch of salt & move onto the good parts (of course, he migh regard me as one of the bad parts )

I very much enjoyed the performance, but wondered why only four parts? THe SCO did the same last week (but had a slightly different selection).

Edit: well, sometimes I try & engage the bad parts in argument to make them see the error of their ways - usually unsuccessfully

Listeners were told that the choir were singing from memory, and that (if I remember rightly) they were particularly keen to do so.

Comment

• jean
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
                          Listeners were told that the choir were singing from memory, and that (if I remember rightly) they were particularly keen to do so.
                          Yes, but why? (to both statements).

Comment

• Flosshilde
                            • Nov 2010

Showing off

I think Mr Handley did say why, but I can't remember what the reason was.

Comment

Working...
                            X