Recitals at St Paul's Cathedral

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Biffo

I have only attended orchestral/choral events in St Paul's and with mixed results. The first concert I attended I was well back in the nave; in the first half was Bach's Double Violin Concerto, a stupid choice and completely inaudible; in the second half, Bruckner 9 (cond. Barenboim), was just a distant wash of sound. On subsequent occasions I was able to afford a seat under the dome. I heard the Berlioz Requiem twice; the first time conducted by Sir Colin Davis and it was the performance of a lifetime; the second time a rather less inspiring effort from Fremaux. I also heard a performance of the Brahms German Requiem - audible but still a bit lost in the vast acoustic even though I was only a few rows from the front.

I have heard the Berlioz Te Deum (Willcocks) in Westminster Cathedral, a much better acoustic. Ely Cathedral sounded fine in an organ recital, Exeter completely hopeless (Britten and Faure) and Salisbury OK but there I only heard part of rehearsal of Mozart's Requiem (Marriner).

Comment

Working...
    X