Complete Beethoven Piano Sonatas on Radio 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Anna

I've seen Llyr Williams play Beethoven. Wonderful but he has very odd mannerisms and does rather gaze, intently, at the audience as if inviting them to adore him.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

[QUOTE=aka Calum Da Jazbo;110752]...must say i am enjoying this rather fine performance of the sonatas .... [apologies if there is another thread looked but not found]
      Isn't THIS the thread?

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Norfolk Born View Post
        Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
        ...must say i am enjoying this rather fine performance of the sonatas .... [apologies if there is another thread looked but not found]
        Isn't THIS the thread?
        Yes, it is. I merged the two. Hard to do it seamlessly without editing people's messages. Sorry for confusion, but it saved the possibility of having two threads and brought Calum's post into the fold! Second thoughts: I should have added an 'Edit note' to Calum's - 'scuse my inexperience
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Thanks for joining the two threads together, french frank!

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
            I realise that I shall sound like a party-pooper . . .
            Not at all - mind if I join you? However much I love an "individual voice", her Beethoven was just a bit too self-indulgent for my taste.
            My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• gradus
              • Nov 2010

Angelich was on top form in the recital today and I really enjoyed his performances of these works. Very interesting to compare the piano sound that these Beethoven sonata recitalists make. Plainly we are in the hands of the engineers but i thought that Angelich was very well served by his piano technician and the R3 engineers too. Tremendous acoustic power when needed but no absence of subtlety and nuance either. Another ace recital in this excellent series.

Comment

• rallentando

Originally posted by gradus View Post
                Angelich was on top form in the recital today and I really enjoyed his performances of these works. Very interesting to compare the piano sound that these Beethoven sonata recitalists make. Plainly we are in the hands of the engineers but i thought that Angelich was very well served by his piano technician and the R3 engineers too. Tremendous acoustic power when needed but no absence of subtlety and nuance either. Another ace recital in this excellent series.
                Totally agree.... & with comment upthread abt 'almost reconciling one to R3'..... especially remembering - as seems here and there to have been ignored by commenters - that these are live performances. But the ListenAgain text provision is highly inaccurate and confusing and needs closer vetting. Takes the edge off it a smidgeon...

Comment

• austin

'Angelich was on top form in the recital today and I really enjoyed his performances of these works. Very interesting to compare the piano sound that these Beethoven sonata recitalists make. Plainly we are in the hands of the engineers but i thought that Angelich was very well served by his piano technician and the R3 engineers too. Tremendous acoustic power when needed but no absence of subtlety and nuance either. Another ace recital in this excellent series.'

For Angelich substitute Wosner. What amazing performances his recitals were as well. A pianist totally new to me but clearly one to watch out for.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                    • Nov 2010

Slightly off track but I finally bought the icon set of Artur schnabel . I have to admit never having heard the recordings of this legend before .

I have only listened to the CD of the Pathetique,Moonlight,Appassionata and Waldstein - it made my ears stand on end ! Stunning performances utterly unvarnished .

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                      Slightly off track but I finally bought the icon set of Artur schnabel . I have to admit never having heard the recordings of this legend before .

I have only listened to the CD of the Pathetique,Moonlight,Appassionata and Waldstein - it made my ears stand on end ! Stunning performances utterly unvarnished .
                      I've so far resisted the blandishments of this set on the grounds that I suspect the inevitable clicks and pops of the 1930s sound would drive me round the bend.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                        I've so far resisted the blandishments of this set on the grounds that I suspect the inevitable clicks and pops of the 1930s sound would drive me round the bend.
                        I thought you were already there, Panjan!
                        But sincerely, "resist" no more! The REGIS transfers are a little "boxy" sound-wise, and have the odd "swish" here and there, but no "clicks and pops" to distract, and the performances are so compelling that I quickly became oblivious to the dated sound. Like Furtwangler's Tristan, these are recordings that exceed the "hype".

And they're so cheap! (Under £20 for the set from some outlets!)

Best Wishes.
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          I thought you were already there, Panjan!
                          Perhaps, I should have said "further".

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                          And they're so cheap! (Under £20 for the set from some outlets!)
                          I admire the chutzpah of the marketplace trader who is selling a "collectible" version at just (sic) £72. The description states that the discs were made in Germany and "not Holland or the USA". Oh well, that makes all the difference then.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by Panjandrum View Post
                            I admire the chutzpah of the marketplace trader who is selling a "collectible" version at just (sic) £72. The description states that the discs were made in Germany and "not Holland or the USA". Oh well, that makes all the difference then.

The REGIS transfers I mentioned are no longer listed in their catalogue, but the EMI Reference version is here:

... and look at the price!
                            Last edited by ferneyhoughgeliebte; 17-12-11, 12:41. Reason: correct link number
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• aeolium
                              • Nov 2010

the performances are so compelling that I quickly became oblivious to the dated sound.
                              Yes, they are wonderful, fhg. I especially like his mercurial playing of the witty op 31 no 1 sonata, and the two sonatas opp 78 and 79, but they are all worth hearing.

Returning to the R3 series, I enjoyed Shai Wosner's thoughtful playing of mostly early sonatas. One of the joys of this series is that, unlike with a cycle played by a single pianist, one can hear contrasting pianistic styles which can each be persuasive in different ways.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                                Late member
                                • Nov 2010

... can each be persuasive in different ways.
                                ..indeed, and a treat to listen to .....
                                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

Working...
                                X