X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Champion Cymbalist

How to clash a pair of cymbals BPO-style - note the children's faces behind him.
    Technical quality on these BPO webcasts is splendid if this is anything to go by.
    Explore the albums of the “Berliner Philharmoniker Recordings” label – on CD, vinyl and as download. With Sir Simon Rattle, Claudio Abbado, Nikolaus Harnoncourt and many more.
  • Chris Newman
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Efrem Cymbalist Jr. ?

Comment

• amateur51

Many thanks for highlighting this gradus - the variety of response on the children's faces is wonderful, I agree. The camera then pans down to the woodwind where there is a young woman on bassoon who can't be more than 12 years older than some of the sprogs - yay!

Cheris Newman. that is a truly dreadful pun - many thanks

Comment

• Biffo

One of the little boys knows what is coming and already has his fingers in his ears. Do all German orchestras have such large cymbals? Back in the 80s I heard the Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra under Kubelik in the RFH in Mahler 1. The cymbals were massive and the player had a really unusual technique. His arms didn't go back smoothly (as in the BPO) but in a series of jerky movements - spectacular and comic at the same time.

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Biffo View Post
          The cymbals were massive and the player had a really unusual technique. His arms didn't go back smoothly (as in the BPO) but in a series of jerky movements - spectacular and comic at the same time.
          Possibly caused by the vibrations from the cymbals?

One of the little boys knows what is coming and already has his fingers in his ears.
          I've often wondered how effective the perspex screens are that are meant to shield players from the sound of the brass, percussion etc just behind them?

Comment

• MrGongGong
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
            I've often wondered how effective the perspex screens are that are meant to shield players from the sound of the brass, percussion etc just behind them?
            Very , they shield you from the direct sound and are much better than wearing attenuating earplugs

Comment

• Biffo

[QUOTE=Flosshilde;106891]Possibly caused by the vibrations from the cymbals?

Possibly, but I have never seen anyone else do it like that (see the BPO video).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

The link didnt work for me!
                Don’t cry for me
                I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                X