X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

TTN Mahler 7, Hatink/Concertgebouw - tonight

Just in case some people might not have noticed - a performance of Mahler 7 with Haitink conducting the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra is being broadcast on this evening's Through the Night at 1am.
  • Roehre

Originally posted by johnb View Post
    Just in case some people might not have noticed - a performance of Mahler 7 with Haitink conducting the Royal Concertgebouw Orchestra is being broadcast on this evening's Through the Night at 1am.
    This is a radio recording of one of the concerts which were given by CGO/Haitink in preparation of their recording of Mahler 7as part of their first Philips Mahler cycle (a second one remained unfinished, as did their second Bruckner cycle).

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Some folk swear by the earlier Haitink recording - Richard Osborne for one.

My preference is for the more subtly nuanced early eighties version.

Looking back, not many years seperate them. I'll certainly be tuning in.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Roehre View Post
        This is a radio recording of one of the concerts which were given by CGO/Haitink in preparation of their recording of Mahler 7as part of their first Philips Mahler cycle (a second one remained unfinished, as did their second Bruckner cycle).
        Thanks for the alert, johnb, and thanks for the additional info, Roehre. My first thought was that this could be the 1985 Christmas Day performance but from your comments presumably it must date back to around 1971. Do you have a more precise date?
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

It says 1969 on the schedule which I guess does just predate the early Philips recording.

Comment

• Petrushka
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
            It says 1969 on the schedule which I guess does just predate the early Philips recording.
            Thanks, Alison, I was looking in Radio Times which gives no info. I shall be setting my recorder. Rather annoyed that I forgot to record the recent Chicago Mahler 9 from the website which bluestateprommer alerted us to, so tonight's broadcast will be by way of compensation.
            Last edited by Petrushka; 26-11-11, 21:32. Reason: typo

Comment

• amateur51

Thanks very much for the alert, johnb! - splendid news, tho I'll probably listen Sunday afternoon.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Yeah, sort of get the feeling that the Chicago Mahler 9 isn't coming out on CD.

It still leaves the way clear for one last definitive BH rendition !

In the meanwhile I am happy with the LSO Proms account.

Hope you didn't waste any cash on the Gergiev recording.

What planet is IRR's Robert Matthew -Walker on ?? ??

Comment

• johnb
                  • Mar 2007

Yeah, sort of get the feeling that the Chicago Mahler 9 isn't coming out on CD.

It still leaves the way clear for one last definitive BH rendition !

In the meanwhile I am happy with the LSO Proms account....
                  I would be happy with the 2009 except that the sound is so muddy and bass heavy (as many of the 2009 Prom broadcasts were) that it makes listening a chore rather than a pleasure. At least last it how it sounds on my audio setup.

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

Oh yes, I totally agree John about the disappointing sound quality.

We seem to have made no progress in some areas of life !

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

Hope you didn't waste any cash on the Gergiev recording.
                      No, I never did get it (note I never got the 4th either) and that's probably another cycle destined to stay incomplete. I bought the Bertini set very cheaply a while back but can't understand why it has garnered such praise in some quarters. Seems pretty ordinary to me (though better than Gergiev).

Comment

• Alison
                        • Nov 2010

I hear Bertini as a good value introductory set and a good base from which to be introduced
                        to really special performances of the symphonies.

The Gergiev Fourth must rate as one of my worst ever purchases.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                          Host
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by johnb View Post
                          Thanks for the heads-up john!!

It accompanied a night ride across London on the cycle back from dinner: really splendid! I've arrived safely and am listening to the final peroration on the proper hifi as I type, before retiring. Every trumpet top note bang on the money
                          "...the isle is full of noises,
                          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

What a waste of time and energy it was to record that broadcast. I turned out to be the very performance on disc 13 of Volume 3 of the RCO radio recordings anthology. I thought is sounded familiar.

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                              What a waste of time and energy it was to record that broadcast. I turned out to be the very performance on disc 13 of Volume 3 of the RCO radio recordings anthology. I thought is sounded familiar.
                              Can you provide an exact date of the performance please? Presumably, that info is included with the RCO boxed set.

Comment

Working...
                              X