X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

BBC National Orchestra of Wales playing Britten's 4 Sea Interludes

I'm listening to the four Sea Interludes by Britten played by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales under Adrian Partington. I'm disappointed as they sounded like a pit orchestra at times. Strangely inconsistent playing as I felt that the earlier Sibelius Symphony no. 2 in D major was most thrilling.
  • makropulos
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
    I'm listening to the four Sea Interludes by Britten played by the BBC National Orchestra of Wales under Adrian Partington. I'm disappointed as they sounded like a pit orchestra at times. Strangely inconsistent playing as I felt that the earlier Sibelius Symphony no. 2 in D major was most thrilling.
    I'm not quite sure why a pit orchestra should be a problem for playing music from an opera... Or do you mean a not-very-good pit orchestra?

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

As a general rule directors of cathedral choirs aren't top flight orchestral conductors.

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by makropulos View Post
        I'm not quite sure why a pit orchestra should be a problem for playing music from an opera... Or do you mean a not-very-good pit orchestra?
        Something like this perhaps?

Comment

• Chris Newman
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

In my experience thrilling Sibelius and virtuoso orchestral playing often defeat each other. One of the most exciting "by-the-seat-of-the-pants" performances of Sibelius 2 was the famous live Beecham recording with the BBCSO in the RFH. One could hardly call the playing immaculate but, by gum, it delivers more thrills than glossier efforts from Lorin Maazel or HvK. I have heard really exciting Sibelius conducted by Richard Seal and David Halls (both Cathedral men) with our local SalisburySO and damp squibs at the Proms from big names.

Comment

• Chris Newman
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

My favourite Hindemith, Bryn.

Comment

• Curalach

Strangely inconsistent playing as I felt that the earlier Sibelius Symphony no. 2 in D major was most thrilling.
              The Sibelius was of course conducted by Thomas Søndergård who I would expect to produce a fine performance. I must catch it on iPlayer.

Comment

• Stanfordian
                • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                Spot on Bryn. Just like that.

Comment

• scchoir

A few things:

The Sibelius was recorded at a Cheltenham concert on 17 Sep (as far as I make out), meaning it was quite probably selected for broadcast (or re-broadcast) because it was a particularly fine performance. It was also the main work of that programme.
                  The Britten/Elgar/VW concert that followed on R3 today was recorded this past Sunday (20th) and scheduled to be broadcast 'as live' before it even happened.

There were some intonation issues at times, but there ain't much a conductor can do about that from the concert podium!
                  Having performed under his baton many times, I can confirm any ensemble issues would most likely not have originated from the front!
                  Anyway, what did you think of this concert's 'main course' - RVW Sinfonia Antartica - I thought it was rather good, but I don't know the work well enough to give an entirely well-informed opinion.
                  I did think the Colston Hall organ sounded of rather poor sound quality in the recording which surprised me, as it makes rather a fine sound in reality (and I was listening through less than good PC speakers....)

Comment

• barber olly

Very nice to hear Nicola Heywood-Thomas's dulcet tones.

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                      Wonderful.

It's from:

Die CD Kontra Wagner jetzt probehören und portofrei für 19,99 Euro kaufen.

and very tempting, too.

Comment

• makropulos
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                        Wonderful.

It's from:

Die CD Kontra Wagner jetzt probehören und portofrei für 19,99 Euro kaufen.

and very tempting, too.
                        To put it another way, tempted
                        Thanks to Bryn and PJPJ for a reminder of this!

Comment

• Stanfordian
                          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by scchoir View Post
                          A few things:

The Sibelius was recorded at a Cheltenham concert on 17 Sep (as far as I make out), meaning it was quite probably selected for broadcast (or re-broadcast) because it was a particularly fine performance. It was also the main work of that programme.
                          The Britten/Elgar/VW concert that followed on R3 today was recorded this past Sunday (20th) and scheduled to be broadcast 'as live' before it even happened.

There were some intonation issues at times, but there ain't much a conductor can do about that from the concert podium!Having performed under his baton many times, I can confirm any ensemble issues would most likely not have originated from the front!
                          Anyway, what did you think of this concert's 'main course' - RVW Sinfonia Antartica - I thought it was rather good, but I don't know the work well enough to give an entirely well-informed opinion.
                          I did think the Colston Hall organ sounded of rather poor sound quality in the recording which surprised me, as it makes rather a fine sound in reality (and I was listening through less than good PC speakers....)
                          I heard the RVW Sinfonia Antartica later on. It was well played making a good case for hearing it more often. I found the Antarctic feel as bone chilling. Sadly the fine playing rather highlighted the deficiencies in Britten Sea Interludes. The Britten may have been recorded at a different time but it is the BBC that compile the programmes that we are to hear; often giving the impression that we are hearing a single concert. Maybe they should be more discerning in their selections.

Comment

Working...
                          X