• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PJPJ
    • Nov 2010

Montserrat Figueras 1942-2011

What a wonderful voice

La cantant, especialitzada en música antiga, va fundar al costat del seu marit els conjunts Hespèrion XXI, La Capella Reial de Catalunya i Le Concert des Nations. El 2011 va rebre la Creu de Sant Jordi i un premi Grammy
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Dear me, how very sad - at the age of 69 and the end of a wonderful musical partnership (Mrs Jordi Savall).
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Indeed - a great interpreter of one of my favourite repertoires. I recall Jordi Savall speaking touchingly about what it was like performing with his wife and daughter.

One or two words not in my catalan dictionary - ff, you can't help with "una família de melòmans" can you?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
        Indeed - a great interpreter of one of my favourite repertoires. I recall Jordi Savall speaking touchingly about what it was like performing with his wife and daughter.
        As I do. Very, very sad indeed.
        RIP Mrs Savall

Comment

• doversoul1
          Ex Member
          • Dec 2010

Still no obituary in any UK papers Disgrace.

My deepest sympathy to Jordi Savall.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Richard Tarleton View Post
            One or two words not in my catalan dictionary - ff, you can't help with "una família de melòmans" can you?
            Spanish 'melómano' means a music-lover. Whether it has a more precise meaning of playing, singing, performing as well, I'm not sure.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

...a tribute on NPR
              According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• ostuni
                • Nov 2010

Very sad: her wonderfully expressive and individual voice lay at the heart of Hesperion's sound. I remember falling in love with the voice the moment I heard her, in those early Hesperion recordings which I bought as they came out in the mid/late 70s - and then, seeing her on stage in London (must have been some time in the late 70s), fell in love with Montserrat in person...

Thanks, CDG, for that link with some nice audio clips. And there is now a British obituary, on the Gramophone site.

Comment

• Celia Ballantyne

Obituaries often take days or even weeks to appear. Gramophone and BBC Music Magazine both posted online tributes the day the news broke and there will be obituaries in at least two national papers that I know of.

Comment

• french frank
                    Administrator/Moderator
                    • Feb 2007

Hello, Celia, and welcome.

The New York Times obit appeared yesterday.

Comment

• Celia Ballantyne

Thank you.
                      Originally posted by french frank View Post
                      Hello, Celia, and welcome.

The New York Times obit appeared yesterday.

Comment

Working...
                      X