• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • moeranbiogman
    • Jun 2024

Sir Malcolm Arnold's legacy

Oh dear. This SO sad.

RICHARD KAY: Sir Malcolm Arnold's children Katherine, 60, and Robert, 57, are fighting the man who looked after him in the High Court over his estate five years after he died.

It would be awful to see the MSS scattered, not to mention the toll that the case will take on both parties.
  • Serial_Apologist
    • Dec 2010

Anyone remember the TV documentary on Arnold of a few years ago? Arnold was not gay, and I was very moved that a gay man many years younger than him, who apparently knew little about music, let alone Arnold's, took it on himself to care for him in his last years. From what one gathered, the composer was as happy in that situation as health and state of mind allowed.

The vultures now gather...

Comment

• Suffolkcoastal
      • Nov 2010

From the various accounts I've read about Arnold's later years, Antony Day seems to have given the composer some much needed stability, even allowing him to compose a few last works including the 9th Symphony. Antony must have had unbelievable patience to deal with Arnold's frequent and dramatic changes of mood almost every day for 20 years. I think Antony should certainly be entitled to a share, after all he appears to have taken on successfully a job which I expect few could have handled or would have wanted to. It would be indeed be a tragic loss to this country if all of Arnold's MSS were scattered all over the place.

Comment

Working...
      X