• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • aka Calum Da Jazbo
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Another lunchtime, another concert, another Schubert Piece

... yesterday lunchtime was a window of unalloyed joy in an otherwise grey day ... and a first for me, being transported by lieder for heaven's sake ...

a lunchtime recital of Schubert's Dichterliebe by a young man no more than 17 accompanied by a senior member of staff, no mean pianist .... the young man is a baritone of pure and unforced clarity of tone ...

he held the structure and the language [german] throughout with just a very occasional strain, but he made each poem come alive with a delightfully artless expressiveness ... i can not now recall which poem is the one where the singer starts unaccompanied but i promise you that he held the whole church suspended in the air as he began and sustained it through the poem ... it was a magical moment ...

[i would name and place this but perhaps you will forgive a reticence on my part to put a young persons name on a public platform]
    According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.
  • Karafan
    • Nov 2010

I prefer Schumann's! I jest, I've suffered from that fingerfehler myself on occasion Calum!
    "Let me have my own way in exactly everything, and a sunnier and more pleasant creature does not exist." Thomas Carlyle

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

it was still a great recital ...

and thanks for putting me straight Karafan!
      Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 11-12-10, 01:27.
      According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
        Late member
        • Nov 2010

another SchuMANN piece this lunchtime, the two allegro movements from the Piano Quintet ... teachers and pupils playing together .... wonderful music and played with great enthusiasm and freshness, considering the cellist was scarce 15 [if that] she did herself very proud, especially with her intonation ... really was enthralling ... folllowed by smoked haddock and mustard mash ..... some days the middle kingdom is a heaven on this earth ...

Comment

• Flosshilde
          • Nov 2010

Was the smoked haddock accompanied by the mash, or was it incorporated into it, like a sort of fishy hash? Sounds delicious either way.

Comment

• Simon

Another concert ... I'm certainly not enjoying this mixture today. Messing with Ravel is clearly not a brill idea - especially for a small group. ???

Took refuge with Tony Blackburn and 1984 on R2. Cyndi Lauper, Queen, the Thompson Twins and, of course, the magnificent Frankie in Hollywood .. Relaxing! On now. What a great year that was!

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Flosshilde; the haddock sits on the mash, and if i ask nicely the cook poaches an egg with it .... i am working on the spinach! and yep it IS delicious!

if any one ever visits this ham in the middle kingdom i would be happy to point them to the establishment ....

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by Simon View Post
                Took refuge with Tony Blackburn and 1984 on R2. Cyndi Lauper, Queen, the Thompson Twins and, of course, the magnificent Frankie in Hollywood .. Relaxing! On now. What a great year that was!
                Popular recording artistes, I presume?! Give me Schubert/mann any day.

Comment

Working...
                X