X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Mandryka
    • Sep 2024

Benjamin Luxon

I hadn't heard anything of him for years and years....I knew he'd been ill and I'd assumed that he was no longer of this parish. However, according to his wikipedia entry. BL is still very much alive and has carved an alternative career in spoken word.

I picked up this tasty little morsel last week:

Most of the items on here were unfamiliar to me. The recording is great fun, really transporting the listener into a Victorian parlour of your own imagination. I'll admit to not really have listened to BL properly before (his fach not being my cup of tea and his long association with ENO somewhat counting against him in my eyes) but on the evidence of these recordings, I've definitely been missing out. Did he make any other worthwhile recordings (barring the Leinsdorf Tote Stadt, which I already have)?
  • amateur51

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
    I hadn't heard anything of him for years and years....I knew he'd been ill and I'd assumed that he was no longer of this parish. However, according to his wikipedia entry. BL is still very much alive and has carved an alternative career in spoken word.

I picked up this tasty little morsel last week:

Most of the items on here were unfamiliar to me. The recording is great fun, really transporting the listener into a Victorian parlour of your own imagination. I'll admit to not really have listened to BL properly before (his fach not being my cup of tea and his long association with ENO somewhat counting against him in my eyes) but on the evidence of these recordings, I've definitely been missing out. Did he make any other worthwhile recordings (barring the Leinsdorf Tote Stadt, which I already have)?
    Benjammin?

Comment

• salymap
      Late member
      • Nov 2010

Back in the 1960s Ben Luxon and Robert Tear recorded a book of Victorian 'parlour' songs that were published by Augener, where I worked at the time. The book and record sold well, don't know if it is still available

Sorry, I see it must be a new version of the 1960s book we published with a new title.
      Last edited by salymap; 23-10-11, 10:27. Reason: Addition of last sentence

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

How disappointing for you - perhaps the thread title should have been 'Benjamin Luxon - alive'?

his long association with ENO somewhat counting against him in my eyes
        Good grief - why? Dame Janet Baker had a long association with the ENO - & chose to make one of her three final opera performances with them - do you think she's not worth your attention?

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          How disappointing for you - perhaps the thread title should have been 'Benjamin Luxon - alive'?

(Title amended, Am51)
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post

(Title amended, Am51)
            If it's not too much trouble, could you remove my comment as well please, ff?

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
              If it's not too much trouble, could you remove my comment as well please, ff?
              Do I have to remove this one, too? You can remove them yourself, you know .
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                Do I have to remove this one, too? You can remove them yourself, you know .
                Really?!

Comment

• Mr Pee
                  • Nov 2010

Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Good grief - why? Dame Janet Baker had a long association with the ENO - & chose to make one of her three final opera performances with them - do you think she's not worth your attention?
                    Quite - what on earth (in those days at any rate) was wrong with ENO? Gooddall's Ring, with Hunter/Remedios ? I saw Baker there in Poppaea (with Leppard), Mary Stuart (with Mackerras) and lots of other great productions. They had a bit of a golden age in the late 60's-70's. They may have had their ups and downs since....To stay on thread, I see Luxon made his debut there in 1974 though I don't think I saw him there.

Comment

• Petrushka
                      • Nov 2010

I knew he had been ill for years and had hearing problems. But what a glorious voice to have in Belshazzar's Feast, for example, and he looked the part too.

The last time I saw him was as the narrator in Schoenberg's A Survivor from Warsaw with the CBSO and Simon Rattle on a snowy March day in 1995 in one of the 'Towards the Millenium concerts devoted to the 1940's (later televised).
                      "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• makropulos
                        • Nov 2010

his long association with ENO somewhat counting against him in my eyes
                        What a weird remark, given how many wonderful things ENO did in the 70s and 80s.

Luxon in his prime was always a singer I loved to hear - and his creation of the title role in the original TV production of "Owen Wingrave" is a performance I still find exceptionally moving. Unless his association with Britten is something that counts against him in your eyes as well?

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                          I knew he had been ill for years and had hearing problems. But what a glorious voice to have in Belshazzar's Feast, for example, and he looked the part too.

The last time I saw him was as the narrator in Schoenberg's A Survivor from Warsaw with the CBSO and Simon Rattle on a snowy March day in 1995 in one of the 'Towards the Millenium concerts devoted to the 1940's (later televised).
                          Blimey, Petrushka, I was there too, if you mean at the Royal Festival Hall. What a good series that was, echt CBSO/Rattle

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                            Host
                            • Nov 2010

Some years ago, I did a detailed comparison of various versions of the wonderful Butterworth 'Shropshire Lad' songs. Benjamin Luxon carried the day by a mile, I recall - heart-stopping performance

http://www.amazon.co.uk/When-Was-One.../dp/B000000AKH
                            "...the isle is full of noises,
                            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by amateur51 View Post
                              Blimey, Petrushka, I was there too, if you mean at the Royal Festival Hall. What a good series that was, echt CBSO/Rattle
                              No, I was at the concert in Symphony Hall. Birmingham, March 2 1995, and this was the one later on BBC2.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X