Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bella Kemp
    • Aug 2014

Well I love this work. It is so tuneful and optimistic I wonder how anyone can not like it. Perhaps it helps that I also adore re-reading Byron. One needs to put oneself into the mindset of the composer perhaps.

Comment

• BBMmk2
      Late Member
      • Nov 2010

What’s happening to Berlioz in general these days? I know we had that Berlioz series that LSO/Gergiev gave but apart from that and JEG, anybody else taking an interest.
      Don’t cry for me
      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• verismissimo
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
        … I did bump into Imai backstage at the Wigmore 'all a few months ago.
        I saw Imai with the Dante Quartet at Leamington Hastings (who knew?) on Saturday. They played Haydn 33.5, Shost 9 and Beethoven op 131. Well, but not especially so.

Comment

• Darkbloom
          • Feb 2015

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
          What’s happening to Berlioz in general these days? I know we had that Berlioz series that LSO/Gergiev gave but apart from that and JEG, anybody else taking an interest.
          It's hard to follow Colin Davis. I didn't immediately appreciate his way with Berlioz but he brought a warmth I haven't heard equalled, particularly with the LSO in his later years.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Mon 17 Dec at 19:30
            Barbican Hall, London
            Berlioz's L’Enfance du Christ
            MORE INFO
            Berlioz, L'Enfance du Christ, Op.25
            BBC Symphony Orchestra
            Edward Gardner, Conductor
            Karen Cargill, Mezzo-soprano
            Robert Murray, Tenor
            Étienne Dupuis, Baritone
            Matthew Rose, Bass
            BBC Symphony Chorus
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
              • Nov 2010

Try clicking from this page: http://www.hberlioz.com/Concerts/performancesd1.htm

Comment

• BBMmk2
                Late Member
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                Thanks for that. There’s one work I would love to see and that’s his Symphonie Funebre et Tropmphale!
                Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Barbirollians
                  • Nov 2010

We were so lucky to have Sir Colin Davis recording and performing Berlioz's big works for so many years . I should love to see and hear his Romeo and Juliette in concert.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
                    We were so lucky to have Sir Colin Davis recording and performing Berlioz's big works for so many years . I should love to see and hear his Romeo and Juliette in concert.
                    His recording on Phillips, of the SF&T, is well worth getting.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• aeolium
                      • Nov 2010

I think it a great pity that there seems to be so little Berlioz in Mackerras' discography: AFAICS a Symphonie Fantastique (plus Carnaval Romain overture) with the RPO and some highlights from various works with the Philharmonia. It can't be due to a lack of interest in Berlioz on Mackerras' part, since he conducted a reportedly superb production of The Trojans at WNO in 1987. Was his failure to record much Berlioz, other than the best known works, due to Colin Davis' seeming monopoly of the complete works in Britain (at least until JEG started to record them)?

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                        Gone fishin'
                        • Sep 2011

Dunno about "in general", Bbm - but the John Nelson Les Troyens has just been nominated as Gramophone "Disc of the Year", which is splendid news.

All of the winners of the 2018 Gramophone Classical Music Awards have now been announced! Special congratulations must to go the winner of the ultimate 'Recording of the Year', awarded to Erato's stunning recording of Berlioz's Les Troyens, recorded in Strasbourg with with a cast including Joyce DiDonato, Michael Spyres and Marie-Nicole Lemieux, conducted by John Nelsons.Below are details of the winners of each individual category, all currently available at reduced prices. Simply click on the images for more information.Artist of the Year went to violinist Rachel Podger (special offer here), Young Artist of the Year to soprano Lise Davidsen, Orchestra of the Year to the Seattle Symphony, Label of the Year to Harmonia Mundi (special offer here) and Lifetime Achievement to conductor Neeme Jarvi.ChamberDvorakQuintets opp.81 & 97Boris Giltburg, Pavel Nikl, Pavel Haas QuartetSupraphonChoralPart / SchnittkeMagnificat & Nunc dimittis / Psalms of RepentanceEstonian Philharmonic Chamber Choir, Kaspars PutninsBISConcertoBartokViolin Concertos 1 & 2Christian Tetzlaff, Finnish Radio Symphony Orchestra, Hannu LintuOndineContemporaryDusapinQuatuor VI, Quatuor VIIArditti Quartet, Orchestre Philharmonique de Radio France, Pascal RopheAeonEarly MusicMusic from the Peterhouse Partbooks Vol.5John Mason, Robert Hunt, Hugh Sturmy, AnonymousBlue Heron, Scott MetcalfeBlue HeronInstrumentalBrahmsPiano Works opp.76, 117 & 118Arcadi VolodosSonyOpera and RECORDING OF THE YEAR!BerliozLes TroyensJoyce DiDonato, Michael Spyres, Marie-Nicole Lemieux, Orchestre Philharmonique du Strasbourg, John NelsonErato (4CD + DVD)OrchestralRavelDaphnis & Chloe (complete ballet)Les Siecles, Francois-Xavier RothHarmonia MundiRecitalAgitataArias by Brevi, Caldara, Gregori, Jommelli, Porpora, Stradella, Torelli & VivaldiDelphine Galou, Accademia Bizantina, Ottavio DantoneAlphaSolo VocalSecretsSongs by Debussy, Duparc, Faure, Ravel & SayMarianne Crebassa, Fazil SayErato
                        [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                          Gone fishin'
                          • Sep 2011

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                          Mon 17 Dec at 19:30
                          Barbican Hall, London
                          Berlioz's L’Enfance du Christ
                          MORE INFO
                          Berlioz, L'Enfance du Christ, Op.25
                          BBC Symphony Orchestra
                          Edward Gardner, Conductor
                          Karen Cargill, Mezzo-soprano
                          Robert Murray, Tenor
                          Étienne Dupuis, Baritone
                          Matthew Rose, Bass
                          BBC Symphony Chorus
                          - one to listen out for (BBCSO, so I presume it'll be broadcast). Back in May, Simon Wright led the Opera North forces in an excellent performance of The Damnation of Faust in Leeds Town Hall.

I think Berlioz is a fabulous composer - one of my favourites of the 19th Century.

Comment

• aeolium
                            • Nov 2010

Edward Gardner is also conducting The Damnation of Faust at Birmingham with the CBSO, chorus and soloists next June:

With luck, there might be more Berlioz performances than usual next year to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                              Gone fishin'
                              • Sep 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                              With luck, there might be more Berlioz performances than usual next year to commemorate the 150th anniversary of his death.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by aeolium View Post
                                I think it a great pity that there seems to be so little Berlioz in Mackerras' discography: AFAICS a Symphonie Fantastique (plus Carnaval Romain overture) with the RPO and some highlights from various works with the Philharmonia. It can't be due to a lack of interest in Berlioz on Mackerras' part, since he conducted a reportedly superb production of The Trojans at WNO in 1987. Was his failure to record much Berlioz, other than the best known works, due to Colin Davis' seeming monopoly of the complete works in Britain (at least until JEG started to record them)?
                                I went to one of the performances of The Trojans, in Liverpool, March 87. And it was superb.

Comment

Working...
                                X