X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Ariosto
    • Sep 2024

Quar-tettes & Quin-tettes, and being a good boy

I was being a good boy yesterday and I went the the old Wigmore 'all to hear and support the Pacifica String quart-ette in their schedule to play all of the Shost-ako-viche string quart-ettes plus the one String Quin-tette - so that's 16 works all-together.

It was pretty damn good, even if not quite the old Borodins of the 1960's. Quite a nice lot too and as I knew someone in common I went back and spoke with 'em. I'm going Thursday night too, and Friday when they do the Quin-tette. The remainder take place next year.

I don't envy the first fiddle as she has to control three blokes, and she is the youngest in the quartet. She admitted it wasn't possible!

Just thought I'd make you all feel guilty.
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Not guilty, m'lud, just envious! The Wigmore (so-called because you have toupee for a ticket) is one of my favourite venues; the Shos-ta-k'vitch Quartets are (IMO) that composer's best pieces; and I've never heard the Pacificas "Live" even though their CDs of the Carter Quartets are (at least) as wonderful as the Arditti's. To quote from Life of Brian: "You lucky, lucky ... "!

Best Wishes.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      Not guilty, m'lud, just envious! The Wigmore (so-called because you have toupee for a ticket) is one of my favourite venues; the Shos-ta-k'vitch Quartets are (IMO) that composer's best pieces; and I've never heard the Pacificas "Live" even though their CDs of the Carter Quartets are (at least) as wonderful as the Arditti's. To quote from Life of Brian: "You lucky, lucky ... "!

Best Wishes.
      I think you will find there are plenty of tickets left as it was only about 70% full last night, and I got a ticket for a tenner. There are two more concerts this week, Thursday and Friday.

I'll tell 'em you are all coming ...

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
        Gone fishin'
        • Sep 2011

A TENNER???? !!!

Well, now you're just showing off!

If ONLY we had a decent Railway service these days!

Comment

• Ariosto

The Pacifica Quartet had wonderful reviews and I think personally that if you want to hear incredible quartet playing in Shostakovich then listen to them.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
            the one String Quin-tette
            Umm.... ahem... Piano Quin-tetttttte I think?

I don't listen to many string quart-etttttttes for fun at home, but agree that hearing such pieces live, especially at the Wigmore (I think the marketeers would have us say "at Wigmore Hall" but I prefer the definite article) is marvellous. Being a tall sort of chap, and also not really liking the acoustic further back, I always try and get a seat on the front row - comfort plus the visceral impact of the music. Nothing like it I shall investigate the Pacifica series... Thanks
            "...the isle is full of noises,
            Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
            Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
            Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• amateur51

Behold the Pacifica Quartet in Shostakovich

Masumi discusses the cross-disciplinary interest in Shostakovich. This video created in connection with the University of Illinois symposium, "Shostakovich: ...

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                Umm.... ahem... Piano Quin-tetttttte I think?

I don't listen to many string quart-etttttttes for fun at home, but agree that hearing such pieces live, especially at the Wigmore (I think the marketeers would have us say "at Wigmore Hall" but I prefer the definite article) is marvellous. Being a tall sort of chap, and also not really liking the acoustic further back, I always try and get a seat on the front row - comfort plus the visceral impact of the music. Nothing like it I shall investigate the Pacifica series... Thanks
                Yes, the pianer quintit - actually it was the one thing - well two if you count the encore - the BRAHMS slow movt of the F minor - that was not so good. The joanna player was the problem.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                  A TENNER???? !!!

Well, now you're just showing off!

If ONLY we had a decent Railway service these days!

A ticket for the rail-way would probably cost ten times the ad-mission to the con-cert.

(why are we writing like a Rupert Bear strip?)

Comment

• Flosshilde
                    • Nov 2010

Actually I had the chance to listen to all the quartets over a weekend in Glasgow a year or so ago - for free! (Beats Ariosto's tenner hands down) As I didn't know them I just went to one concert, & wished I'd gone to all of them.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                      Gone fishin'
                      • Sep 2011

A decent review in today's Times (can't do those link-y things): 4/5 stars. (Because the reviewer doesn't like the Piano Quintet!)

Comment

Working...
                      X