• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

Definitions

We have been here before, I do realise, but R3 is currently running a series of [exasperating] trails for 'Live in Concert' events.

[a] are they actually 'live'?
    [b] or are they 'as live'?
    [c] or are they 'recorded'?

And actually, are some of them studio sessions recorded or live or recorded as live with no audience present at all, and if so, is that a 'concert' at all?

Is that my scepticism and doubt peeping into the blinking light of day? Or is it total confusion?
    Or am I merely being pernickety over definitions and should I just rejoice that they are happening at all and not challenge R3 on the veracity of its claims for itself?
  • kernelbogey
    • Nov 2010

Draco, could you please define 'as live'? Thanks.

Comment

• MrGongGong
      • Nov 2010

This chapter "relocating the 'live'" is worth reading IMV

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

Gosh.
        Well, actually, now you come to ask, I have no idea what 'as live' means. The critical difficulty is the confusing 'as'. Does that imply 'as if' live? Or does it imply an audience and thus a 'concert'? Or does it mean recorded warts an' all?
        Surely any recording of any music is ' live'? But what does 'as live' mean?

Or does it mean a concert broadcast as it actually happens? Or not?

So maybe I'm not the best person to ask.

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
          Draco, could you please define 'as live'? Thanks.
          I've always used it to mean a 'real time recording' that doesn't have bits edited out of it; e.g. the previous recorded 'concerts' which were introduced by a studio presenter just playing the individual pieces of music were NOT 'as live'.

But I always had a feeling the BBC used it slightly differently

Re the original question, I think they did say they would be broadcasting some recorded concerts now and again in the 'Live In Concert' slot. But they can still call it 'Live In Concert' because then they mean it in the other sense of 'live'
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
            • Nov 2010

Thanks ff, but.... 'live' should only mean, I submit, 'broadcast as it's being performed' - simultaneously. (A repeat of the same performance would therefore not be 'live' but 'recorded'.)
            Last edited by kernelbogey; 10-10-11, 11:16.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by kernelbogey View Post
              Thanks ff, but.... 'live' should only mean, I submit, 'broadcast as it's being performed' - simultaneously. (A repeat of the same performance would therefore not be 'live' but 'recorded'.
              All together now:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                All together now:

"When I use a word," Humpty Dumpty said, in a rather scornful tone, "it means just what I choose it to mean - neither more nor less."

And we all know what happened to him, don't we?

Comment

• Ariosto

Does that mean that (hopefully) Roger Wright is going to fall on his sword?

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Aha! It is as I suspected: 'Live in Concert' means whatever R3 wants it to mean? It is no more nor less than a slogan, a bit of 'trailer trash' that means next to nowt?

Comment

• kernelbogey
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Aha! It is as I suspected: 'Live in Concert' means whatever R3 wants it to mean? It is no more nor less than a slogan, a bit of 'trailer trash' that means next to nowt?
                      They could always give Rob a programme called 'Dead in concert'. Plenty of recordings to choose from!

Comment

• DracoM
                        Host
                        • Mar 2007

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

I think the intention is for the 5-a-week to continue for the present. There was a wobble just after the Proms finished, but the indefatigable Andrew keeps a week-by-week check on the Actually Live concerts if you follow him here. Live seems to have resumed.

Comment

• Roslynmuse
                            • Jul 2011

One further confusion is that R3 seems not to know the provenance of at least some of its concerts.

A BBC PO concert I went to at the Bridgewater Hall earlier this year was split over two (non-consecutive) afternoons recently and described as a studio recording.

And the Halle's Walküre broadcast a few weeks back was described (twice) as coming from the Manchester International Festival in June (the dates of the performances were July 15th and 16th...)

Comment

• Petrushka
                              • Nov 2010

Hmmm, I'm not sire I have much of a problem with definitions. 'Live' should mean just that - it is happening NOW whether an audience is present or not. 'As live' surely means a concert performance broadcast exactly as if was being relayed live ie no editing whatsoever and with original announcements in place. 'Recorded' I would take to mean an edited studio/concert performance/s with or without an audience.

think I've got it anyway.
                              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

Working...
                              X