X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Brahms oh Brahms!

Lovely performance of the lyrical masterpiece that is the Brahms second vln sonata today lunchtime by Daniel Hope and Sebastien Knauer.
    Greig and Joachim wonderfully played too.
    Bravo!
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    the lyrical masterpiece that is the Brahms second vln sonata

I missed the broadcast, gradus: thanks to your "nudge" I shall hunt it out on the i-Player.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Me too. I've been listening to nothing but violin sonatas tonight (Elgar, RVW, Walton and Beethoven) and that recital will round the evening off nicely.
      The Brahms sonatas are wonderful aren't they ?

Comment

• Roehre

Originally posted by EdgeleyRob View Post
        The Brahms sonatas are wonderful aren't they ?
        Most certainly

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Just listening now - thank you, gradus!
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• gurnemanz
            • Nov 2010

Also missed it . I'll check out tomorrow.

(Sviatoslav Richter and David Oistrakh on Melodiya are a marvellous coupled with the Franck)

Comment

• Ariosto

As a last minute decision we attended the concert at the Wigmore 'all. I was a little uncertain about whether or not I liked Daniel Hope's playing, but the programme looked great so we risked it.

We were rewarded with a great concert, especially the Brahms which I though very fine from both players. (Sebastian Knauer being the excellent pianist)

DH's full tone and warm playing suited both the sonatas - and it was interesting to follow the scores. (VentilHorn will no doubt dissaprove, and I'm sure I won't have heard the last of my indescretion, and fully expect him to call me a plonker. But as I may learn the Brahms and it is the one I know least of all three, I wanted to see as well as hear how problematic the piece might be).

The Grieg I know well and it is not an easy piece for either player, and it was nice to hear an alternative interpretation.

The thing that came over strongly with both performers was their musical commitment.

I'm certainly going to look out for these musicians again, as it was a most enjoyable experience, and rather unexpected.

Comment

• aka Calum Da Jazbo
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

info it is repeated on saturday

iPlayer

just listening to the Grieg now ... many thanks for the pointer

now listened all through ... glorious Brahms

[i do not want to drop the tone of this thread but ms Derham sounds just like my first mother-in-law!]
                Last edited by aka Calum Da Jazbo; 27-09-11, 12:42.
                According to the best estimates of astronomers there are at least one hundred billion galaxies in the observable universe.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by aka Calum Da Jazbo View Post
                  info it is repeated on saturday

iPlayer

just listening to the Grieg now ... many thanks for the pointer

now listened all through ... glorious Brahms

[i do not want to drop the tone of this thread but ms Derham sounds just like my first mother-in-law!]
                  Yikes, I was at the concert and didn't realise that it was old Katie on the platform addressing the audience. I did notice that whoever was doing the speel was surrounded by two or three blokes attending to her every need including getting a glass of water (or maybe it was vodka?)

Maybe I should include her as well in my idea about two weeks in Brighton to improve their ... knowledge ... which I mentioned in the Suzy Klein thread recently.

Comment

• PatrickOD

I'm afraid you just did CDJ. And the following message took full gleeful advantage.

I refer to your statement about Ms Derham and your mother-in-law. My quote seems to have disappeared.
                    Last edited by Guest; 27-09-11, 14:05. Reason: missing quote

Comment

• BBMmk2
                      Late Member
                      • Nov 2010

Have to wait for those performances but thank you Gradus. I have Maxim Vengerov playing them. Any others?
                      Don’t cry for me
                      I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                      X