Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • johnb
    • Mar 2007

I've not yet watched the concert but I wonder whether Rattle was getting at something slightly different.

Most classical guitarists spend almost all their time practising and playing solo repertoire and comparatively little playing chamber music, so they often develop a rhythmic freedom which can mean that some of them have problems with timing and pulse, etc, when having to perform with, say, an orchestra.

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Caliban View Post

Oh that's made me chuckle a treat, Mr Osto or may I call you Ari?

Is nurse trying a new combination of meds?
      No, but she just climbed into bed with me ...

Comment

• silvestrione
        • Jan 2011

May I politely suggest that the whining whingeing Rattle-haters establish their own forum site where they can enjoy themselves?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by silvestrione View Post
          May I politely suggest that the whining whingeing Rattle-haters establish their own forum site where they can enjoy themselves?
          So why should they be excluded then?
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            So why should they be excluded then?
            I was going to ignore silvestrione's outburst, Caliban, but I have to agree with you. If we can't make critical comments about a conductor then what's the point of a forum?

And if Mr/Ms Silvestrione considers some of us to be Rattle-haters then that in itself shows that he/she is taking an extreme view, as I'm not aware that anyone on here hates Simon Rattle. In my case, I just dislike his method of stick waving, and the results eminating from such a method.

I see that Mr/Ms silvestrione may be a relatively new boy/girl on the block so maybe we should make allowances for his/her inexperience?

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
              Host
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Ariosto View Post
              I was going to ignore silvestrione's outburst, Caliban, but I have to agree with you. If we can't make critical comments about a conductor then what's the point of a forum?

And if Mr/Ms Silvestrione considers some of us to be Rattle-haters then that in itself shows that he/she is taking an extreme view, as I'm not aware that anyone on here hates Simon Rattle. In my case, I just dislike his method of stick waving, and the results eminating from such a method.

I see that Mr/Ms silvestrione may be a relatively new boy/girl on the block so maybe we should make allowances for his/her inexperience?
              True. I was just interested. I wonder if Mr/Ms Silvestrione just likes everything and everyone indiscriminately.
              "...the isle is full of noises,
              Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
              Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
              Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Alf-Prufrock

I don't know why untruths have to creep in among the comments of the usual suspects in this kind of thread. I have seen two concerts of the BPO under Sir Simon recently (since this correspondence started), and there was a VAST amount of looking at the conductor in both.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

If people are going to be criticized for 'pulling faces', I would start with the soloist in the Rodrigo. Compared with him, Sir Simon was a model of facial muscle control!

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Rather like Lang Lang's!!

Everyoine is entitled to their opinions though. I don't think we are living in a Police State just yet!!
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ariosto

Quite right, Brassbandmaestro!!

Why all the fuss anyway, we are only talking about conductors? It's not as if we are talking about something or someone very important. Just a load of stick wavers. In other words, failed instrumentalists or purely academic musicians who have only one claim to fame in that they can (should, possibly be able to) read a score ...

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

That reminds me of what Nigel kennedy said at this year's Proms!!
                        Don’t cry for me
                        I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by Brassbandmaestro View Post
                          That reminds me of what Nigel kennedy said at this year's Proms!!
                          And I think he was dead right!

He seems to have upset the establishment quite a lot (more) with his comments about HIP and conductors.

Keep up the good work, Nige!!

Comment

Working...
                          X