X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Tony Halstead
    • Nov 2010

Reiner Torheit

I see that Reiner Torheit is 'alive and well' and posting on R3OK, indeed as a 'Hero Member' ( whatever that means).
    Do we know why he hasn't yet joined us here?
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by waldhorn View Post
    I see that Reiner Torheit is 'alive and well' and posting on R3OK, indeed as a 'Hero Member' ( whatever that means).
    Do we know why he hasn't yet joined us here?
    He is currently suspended from r3ok for refusing to keep the forum rules.

He subsequently joined this forum as Al R Gando, and his account was closed because he broke undertakings that he made when he first joined.
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• John Wright
      • Mar 2007

- - -

John W

Comment

• Flosshilde
        • Nov 2010

I seem to remember that he left the old R3 boards sometime before they closed, & I think that sometime before he left he was suspended. I think there had been a campaign against him by other members?

I agree that it would be good if he joined us - I enjoyed his contributions, which were always illuminating and frequently (intentionally) humourous.

Comment

• Chris Newman
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flosshilde View Post
          I seem to remember that he left the old R3 boards sometime before they closed, & I think that sometime before he left he was suspended. I think there had been a campaign against him by other members?

I agree that it would be good if he joined us - I enjoyed his contributions, which were always illuminating and frequently (intentionally) humourous.
          I agree. Few people have such in depth knowledge of opera than Reiner Torheit, and that is my favourite theme. I always knew he would have fascinating knowledge to impart. He could be naughty (even stridently angry) but he was never (IMHO) offensive unlike RobG who was quite rightly barred from the BBC boards (especially after being found to have multiple memberships). I enjoyed his contributions.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

I'm afraid that his genial alter ego and and wide knowledge of music won't compensate for an appalling record of abuse on several forums of which he's been a member.

Given that he was banned from the BBC boards for his vendetta against FoR3 and me in particular, which went on for several years, it was a mistake to allow him to join after r3ok suspended him. I suspect that he was banned twice from the BBC boards since 'seraskier' appeared several months after 'Reiner Torheit' disappeared (but I'm unaware of why that would have been).

I'm afraid I don't know of any forum where he is currently a posting member.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• salymap
              Late member
              • Nov 2010

Morning FF, crumbs, I apparently had more confidence on the old MBs to take on all-comers. Well,it's nearly two years and I don't remember any of those exchanges. I still miss smittims though.

Comment

• french frank
                Administrator/Moderator
                • Feb 2007

I don't think it's fair to discuss openly a former member who isn't present to answer for himself, but still less fair to do so privately where he can't see what is being said. If he emails me to complain (his last messages of foul-mouthed invective suggested he didn't want to hear from me again), I will create a new account for him under his own name so that he can speak for himself and not hide behind a pseudonym.

Otherwise, I would prefer this subject to be dropped.

Comment

• Don Basilio
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                  Yes.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
                    I don't think it's fair to discuss openly a former member who isn't present to answer for himself, but still less fair to do so privately where he can't see what is being said. If he emails me to complain (his last messages of foul-mouthed invective suggested he didn't want to hear from me again), I will create a new account for him under his own name so that he can speak for himself and not hide behind a pseudonym.

Ok, agreed.

Comment

• Ventilhorn

Originally posted by John Wright View Post
                      Yes please!

Comment

• Auferstehen2

At the risk of getting my head blown off here, I really must leap to Reiner Torheit’s defence.

Not only was he extremely helpful and useful to me in guiding me through my very first Wagner venture, but was patient in being tolerant with a complete ignoramus and an absolute beginner. I miss his contributions hugely. Never once did he lose his temper with me - maybe it’s a matter of how one approaches another poster? Aggression can only attract aggression, surely?

He was however a peppery character, and acerbic when required, but only to those (as far as I could tell from reading their postings) who were either ignorant of the subject under discussion (and of course pretended otherwise), or who doubted his talents (which in the operatic field were huge) or who clearly were out to rile him (an unbelievable waste of time in my view), and succeeded!

Yes ff, the examples you gave in No 6 above were rather distasteful, but I do not know what introduced them. I do not know the whole story behind his “sackings”, but truly, I believe this Board is poorer without him. It would have been utterly fascinating to have his view on the recent Trittico (I wish I were in London to have heard that!).

Mario

Comment

• french frank
                          Administrator/Moderator
                          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Auferstehen2 View Post
                          It would have been utterly fascinating to have his view on the recent Trittico (I wish I were in London to have heard that!).
                          That was precisely the reason that, against my better judgement, I allowed him to register here. Whenever he falls out with any the forums/moderators he registers with there is always a chorus in his support - which I understand if all you ever read are the knowledgeable, witty postings.

It should be enough that he pursued a vendetta with groundless accusations against FoR3 on the BBC boards for years for people to understand that this is the last place he's ever coming back.

Comment

• verismissimo
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Auferstehen2 View Post
                            Reiner...was patient in being tolerant with a complete ignoramus and an absolute beginner.
                            If he could bring himself to be a little more patient with the rest of us, he'd have so much more impact! I've found that if I swallow hard and concentrate on the point he's making, it's invariably enlightening, even if I don't agree with it.

Comment

• Auferstehen2

Dear French Frank,

I’m sorry that you find my support of Reiner Torheit so predictable, as I have never formed part of “a chorus in his support”. I simply said what I honestly felt, honestly.

Mario

Comment

Working...
                              X