• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • mercia
    • Nov 2010

Walkure/Halle/Elder

Act 1 - 20 September Radio 3 7:30pm
    Acts 2 & 3 - 21 September 7:00pm (amended)

Following the success of their 2009 performance of Gotterdammerung, the Halle and conductor Sir Mark Elder return to Wagner's Ring for the second instalment of the epic cycle: Die Walkure. This concert performance, split over two days, was recorded at The Bridgewater Hall in July, part of the 2011 Manchester International Festival. The cast includes Egils Silins as Wotan, his performance praised by Tim Ashley in The Guardian as "intelligent, beautiful sounding, and intensely tragic", and also stars experienced Wagner exponents Susan Bullock, Susan Bickley and Stig Andersen. Ian Skelly presents.

Wagner: Die Walkure

Siegmund ..... Stig Andersen
    Sieglinde ..... Yvonne Howard
    Hunding ..... Clive Bayley
    Wotan ..... Egils Silins
    Brünnhilde ..... Susan Bullock
    Fricka ..... Susan Bickley
    Gerhilde ..... Miranda Keys
    Ortlinde ..... Elaine McKrill
    Waltraute ..... Sarah Castle
    Schwertleite ..... Linda Finnie
    Helmwige ..... Katherine Broderick
    Siegrune ..... Alison Kettlewell
    Grimgerde ..... Ceri Williams
    Rossweisse ..... Leah-Marian Jones

The Halle
    Sir Mark Elder (conductor)
    Last edited by mercia; 18-09-11, 07:17.
  • Ventilhorn

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    20/21 September Radio 3 7:30pm

Following the success of their 2009 performance of Gotterdammerung, the Halle and conductor Sir Mark Elder return to Wagner's Ring for the second instalment of the epic cycle: Die Walkure. This concert performance, split over two days, was recorded at The Bridgewater Hall in July, part of the 2011 Manchester International Festival. The cast includes Egils Silins as Wotan, his performance praised by Tim Ashley in The Guardian as "intelligent, beautiful sounding, and intensely tragic", and also stars experienced Wagner exponents Susan Bullock, Susan Bickley and Stig Andersen. Ian Skelly presents.

Wagner: Die Walkure

Siegmund ..... Stig Andersen
    Sieglinde ..... Yvonne Howard
    Hunding ..... Clive Bayley
    Wotan ..... Egils Silins
    Brünnhilde ..... Susan Bullock
    Fricka ..... Susan Bickley
    Gerhilde ..... Miranda Keys
    Ortlinde ..... Elaine McKrill
    Waltraute ..... Sarah Castle
    Schwertleite ..... Linda Finnie
    Helmwige ..... Katherine Broderick
    Siegrune ..... Alison Kettlewell
    Grimgerde ..... Ceri Williams
    Rossweisse ..... Leah-Marian Jones

The Halle
    Sir Mark Elder (conductor)
    Thanks for the advance notification, Mercia

I shall look forward to hearing that and especially the Ride of the Valkiries.

I hope that Sir Mark will ensure that the horns and trombones will, in the main tune, play with the rhythm Ams-ter-dam, dah dah and not Man-ches-ter, dah dah, in view of the performance's location.

Raining cats and dogs here, so I'm going to devise a proms programme for World Wildlife Day.

'morning all'

VH
    Last edited by Guest; 17-09-11, 08:29. Reason: formatting

Comment

• Roslynmuse
      • Jul 2011

I was at the performance(s) and they were superb. Do listen if you can!

Comment

• Chris Newman
        Late Member
        • Nov 2010

This sounds very promising.

A pity that Philip Jourdan could not get the Latvian Egils Silins as Wotan in Paris this Spring. He had him at Zurich this year and his voice sounds much warmer and steadier than the dried out Juha Uusitalo (who was not a patch on his 2008 performances with Mehta. I guess three years of Wagner singing can take its toll).

Comment

• rodney_h_d
          • Nov 2010

Die Walkure Acts 2 and 3 will now start at 7:00pm

I heard on R3 this evening that the broadcast of Acts 2 and 3 on Wednesday 21st will commence at 7:00pm - not 7:30pm as previously announced. The online schedule confirms this.

Comment

• BBMmk2
            Late Member
            • Nov 2010

Very excited about this!! That's a sensible solution toi spread this Music Drama over two days.
            Don’t cry for me
            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by rodney_h_d View Post
              I heard on R3 this evening that the broadcast of Acts 2 and 3 on Wednesday 21st will commence at 7:00pm - not 7:30pm as previously announced. The online schedule confirms this.
              It was obvious from the timings given in RT that they could not possibly have squeezed in both Acts in the time allocated.
              "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Bert Coules
                • Nov 2010

Having missed the announcements regarding the start time, I tuned in at 7.30pm for act two and was slightly taken aback to find myself in the middle of Wotan's narration. Some daring cuts on the part of Mark Elder, there, I thought. Or some extremely fast tempi.
                Last edited by Bert Coules; 21-09-11, 20:18.

Comment

• kernelbogey
                  • Nov 2010

Also missed both Act I yesterday (will listen later on the RingPlayer) and the beginning of Act II tonight, but enjoying what I'm hearing now. Susan Bullock excellent from what I've heard. Some tempi a little slow, I thought.

Comment

• DracoM
                    Host
                    • Mar 2007

Band a hell of a lot better than the singers IMO. Sorry - really disappointed with both Sieglinde and Brunnhilde. Wotan was a real lightweight too.

Comment

• Flosshilde
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
                      Band a hell of a lot better than the singers IMO. Sorry - really disappointed with both Sieglinde and Brunnhilde. Wotan was a real lightweight too.
                      I thought that Wotan was fine - perhaps his voice lacked weight a bit, but I don't think that's a problem (I missed the final scene, so don't know how he fared in that). I found Susan Bullock's sudden shrieks a bit too much.

Comment

Working...
                      X