X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Music used in BBC 4 TV programme 'Hidden Paintings of the North West'

The BBC 4 TV programme 'Hidden Paintings of the North West' shown on the Tuesday 30th presented by Paul McGann used extracts from several pieces of music. I know my information is rather vague but can anyone put a name to the mournful music played by strings?
  • Roslynmuse
    • Jul 2011

It sounds like Summa by Arvo Part in its orchestral guise (there are also versions for voices and for string quartet and possibly others too).

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
      • Dec 2010

That I am completely stumped for an answer amounts to positive criticism as far as I am concerned, given that the discreteness of the background music on this fine programme, so unusual in documentaries these days, left me with absolutely no recollection of any of the music used.

S-A

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by Stanford's Legacy View Post
        The BBC 4 TV programme 'Hidden Paintings of the North West' shown on the Tuesday 30th presented by Paul McGann used extracts from several pieces of music. I know my information is rather vague but can anyone put a name to the mournful music played by strings?
        How far into the programme does the piece in question (first) appear? I've recorded the programme but have yet to watch it.
        Nice to see that the Radio Times is getting involved - on the side of the angels it appears - in the campaign to save BBC4.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

If you're referring to the music playing some 17-18 minutes in, it is indeed Arvo Pärt's 'Summa'.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
            • Nov 2010

Lovely programme earlier in the week about Parts : Spiegel im Spiegel.... http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...el_im_Spiegel/
            bong ching

Comment

• Stanfordian
              • Dec 2010

Thank you Roslynmuse. The music that I knew but could not identify is indeed Arvo Pärt's 'Summa'. The near-pastoral nature of the score always reminds me of Vaughan Williams. The readers of this Forum almost always come up trumps.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                • Nov 2010

Thanks for flagging up the prog'....very well made with the paintings being seen rather than presenter....http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode...gs_North_West/
                bong ching

Comment

Working...
                X