X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

"Anyone else becoming bored or annoyed by the shift away from classical music and the embracing, plugging and increasing amount of jazz, folk music and crossovers into other genres? Feels like there’s a concerted effort underway to “broaden” or pull back from more “traditional” classical music."

Thus R3 becomes a CFM/R2 soundalike. Yes. Agree.
    We have been deceived and betrayed.
    Do R3 soi-disant 'planners' EVER consult listeners?

Comment

• LMcD
      • Sep 2017

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
      "Anyone else becoming bored or annoyed by the shift away from classical music and the embracing, plugging and increasing amount of jazz, folk music and crossovers into other genres? Feels like there’s a concerted effort underway to “broaden” or pull back from more “traditional” classical music."

Thus R3 becomes a CFM/R2 soundalike. Yes. Agree.
      We have been deceived and betrayed.
      Do R3 soi-disant 'planners' EVER consult listeners?
      Only if they belong to an approved focus group, perhaps.

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post

Only if they belong to an approved focus group, perhaps.
        Yes, but the official Radio 3 focus groups are scientifically selected representative people: e.g. 4% are R3 listeners.
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Serial_Apologist
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post

Yes, but the official Radio 3 focus groups are scientifically selected representative people: e.g. 4% are R3 listeners.

Comment

• french frank
            Administrator/Moderator
            • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Serial_Apologist View Post

I'm joking (in a way), but if they have these chosen focus groups (whose views presumably influence editorial decisions), on what criteria are people chosen? What is a 'representative' Radio 3 listener? From experience I can say that those connected with FoR3 who expressed objectively critical comments were routinely dismissed as 'an unrepresentative minority'.
            It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

I'm joking (in a way), but if they have these chosen focus groups (whose views presumably influence editorial decisions), on what criteria are people chosen? What is a 'representative' Radio 3 listener? From experience I can say that those connected with FoR3 who expressed objectively critical comments were routinely dismissed as 'an unrepresentative minority'.

That's what I've assumed.

Comment

• Master Jacques
                • Feb 2012

Yes. Given the respect rightly accorded to just about every other minority we might think of, the contempt with which intelligent listeners are treated by the BBC in general, and Radio 3 in particular, is hard to justify. Morally, intellectually and politically, it is a sure sign of our bad times.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                  That's what I've assumed.
                  No need to assume. In days gone by we used to get a lot of newspaper coverage, much sympathetic, some not. But in order to get a 'balanced' picture the journalist would go back to R3 and say : "They say .." to which the BBC would reply that we were a) unrepresentative in our views and b) very few in number. Private Eye reported that they'd said - literally - "There are only four of them." Where they got the number four from goodness knows, but the Eye checked our website where we used to publish the names of everyone who gave us permission to do so and "There are scads [sic] of them".

I can mention those who've now passed on: Peter Maxwell Davies, Harrison Birtwistle, Antony Hopkins, Hugh Wood, Arthur Butterworth, Stanley Sadie (editor of Grove), Colin Davis &c &c &c; plus literary figures. I won't mention others who are still alive but I still have letters from most of them. But once "There are only four of them" is in print it becomes an accepted fact and a source of ridicule.

Comment

• eighthobstruction
                    • Nov 2010

....I've long been a tiny minority that spoils it for everyone else ....but Sam Jackson has quickly had an effect on my listening experience....some of the folk on here (R3F) did sound like folk in winged collars or subfusc college tweed - perm and pearls, pressing for the 1940's/50's to never be over ; but less so now, They are mostly folk who would rather listen to a bassoon than an electric guitar. Never let the truth spoil a good punchline. How very quickly the quality of R3 has gone downhill since Sam came along - twisted....all with the best possible intentions one has to believe. He has not got it right at all, by any stretch of the imagination....a nightmare dream sequence, but you wake up and all is well. It isn't all well Sam , you have¬^*<}[ it up .... ....greetings from Crosshills Yorkshire.
                    Last edited by eighthobstruction; 17-07-24, 19:51.
                    bong ching

Comment

• LMcD
                      • Sep 2017

[QUOTE=french frank;n1312567]

I can mention those who've now passed on: Peter Maxwell Davies, Harrison Birtwistle, Antony Hopkins, Hugh Wood, Arthur Butterworth, Stanley Sadie (editor of Grove), Colin Davis &c &c &c; plus literary figures. QUOTE]

Antony Hopkins was a panellist on 'Call My Bluff' in an episode first broadcast on 23/12/1974 and shown on BBC 4 on Monday and now on iPlayer.

Comment

• french frank
                        Administrator/Moderator
                        • Feb 2007

[QUOTE=LMcD;n1315715]
                        Antony Hopkins was a panellist on 'Call My Bluff' in an episode first broadcast on 23/12/1974 and shown on BBC 4 on Monday and now on iPlayer.
                        Irritatingly, every time I hear about Antony Hopkins I get a mental picture of Anthony Hopkins

Comment

• smittims
                          • Aug 2022

Ah, maybe that's because you haven't seen a picture of the R3 Hopkins. I grew up imagining that James Dale , who played Dr. Dale in Mrs. Dale's Diary,was short and fat (from the sound of his voice) and I was incredulous to see a photo of him tall and thin.

Comment

• french frank
                            Administrator/Moderator
                            • Feb 2007

James Dale played Jim???

Comment

• vinteuil
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by smittims View Post
                              Ah, maybe that's because you haven't seen a picture of the R3 Hopkins. I grew up imagining that James Dale , who played Dr. Dale in Mrs. Dale's Diary,was short and fat (from the sound of his voice) and I was incredulous to see a photo of him tall and thin.
                              ... surely Dr Dale was played by Douglas Burbidge

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

Who he? I think we may have been listening in different decades. After all , Mrs Dale was Ellis Powell for years, and then Jessie Matthews. Cue a Google or Wikipaedia search I think.

Comment

Working...
                                X