• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vinteuil
    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by french frank View Post
    James Dale played Jim???
    ... apparently so : he succeeded Douglas Burbidge in the role -

The Wimbledon season takes me back to other summers, and especially to the men’s final in 1982 between Connors and McEnroe, which I watched…

Comment

• smittims
      • Aug 2022

Thanks, vinteuil. My memory is slipping but I am certain I heard the cast list read out in the late 1950s and early 1960s beginnig, 'Mrs. Dale, Elis Powell, Dr. Dale, James Dale..etc.'

Comment

• french frank
        Administrator/Moderator
        • Feb 2007

I was just amused at the thought of James Dale playing James Dale. Or perhaps he WAS James Dale? Dr Dale was played by HIMSELF?
        It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
          Host
          • Jun 2018

[QUOTE=french frank;n1315725]
          Originally posted by LMcD View Post
          Irritatingly, every time I hear about Antony Hopkins I get a mental picture of Anthony Hopkins
          How about Brian Cox?

Thanks LMcD, Call My Bluff is now tonight's viewing. Who could resist "Patrick Campbell, Pauline Collins, Antony Hopkins and Frank Muir, the Marchioness of Tavistock, Edward Fox."

Comment

• LMcD
            • Sep 2017

Originally posted by smittims View Post
            Thanks, vinteuil. My memory is slipping but I am certain I heard the cast list read out in the late 1950s and early 1960s beginnig, 'Mrs. Dale, Elis Powell, Dr. Dale, James Dale..etc.'
            I think Douglas Burbridge played Dr Dale from 1948 to 1959 and was indeed followed by James Dale.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

[QUOTE=AuntDaisy;n1315749]
              How about Brian Cox?

Thanks LMcD, Call My Bluff is now tonight's viewing. Who could resist "Patrick Campbell, Pauline Collins, Antony Hopkins and Frank Muir, the Marchioness of Tavistock, Edward Fox."
              Last week's Call My Bluff may still be on iPlayer - the panellists included a cheroot-smoking (or at least brandishing) Miles Kington and Simon Williams.

Comment

• cloughie
                • Dec 2011

I was just amused at the thought of James Dale playing James Dale. Or perhaps he WAS James Dale? Dr Dale was played by HIMSELF?
                ...and he frequently had Elis worrying about him!

Comment

• cloughie
                  • Dec 2011

[QUOTE=LMcD;n1315756]
                  Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post

Last week's Call My Bluff may still be on iPlayer - the panellists included a cheroot-smoking (or at least brandishing) Miles Kington and Simon Williams.
                  I think that WILTY is the illicit son of CMB. But who knows the truth?

Comment

• LMcD
                    • Sep 2017

[QUOTE=cloughie;n1315759]

I think that WILTY is the illicit son of CMB. But who knows the truth?
                    I believe that, on Radio 4 at least, the truth is unbelievable.
                    The message regarding last week's Call My Bluff was posted by yours truly, and not, as it may seem, by Aunt Daisy (not that I mind )

Comment

• vinteuil
                      • Nov 2010

I think Douglas Burbridge played Dr Dale from 1948 to 1959 and was indeed followed by James Dale.
                      ... I think my mother probably stopped listening to Mrs Dale's Diary c. 1959, which is why I associate Douglas Burbridge with the part of Dr Dale

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                        Host
                        • Jun 2018

I believe that, on Radio 4 at least, the truth is unbelievable.
                        The message regarding last week's Call My Bluff was posted by yours truly, and not, as it may seem, by Aunt Daisy (not that I mind )
                        How very odd. My cunning impersonation of you, LMcD, has been found out

Comment

• LMcD
                          • Sep 2017

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                          How very odd. My cunning impersonation of you, LMcD, has been found out
                          Well, you certainly had me fooled. Now all we need to do is discover who's been impersonating you.
                          Last edited by LMcD; 21-08-24, 23:13.

Comment

• LMcD
                            • Sep 2017

Gillian Reynolds - who knows a thing or two about radio - draws an interesting distinction in today's i between Radio 3 and Classic FM without being particularly complimentary about either.
                            Radio 3 : Chat abounding. Hosts who sound like teachers on tea breaks'
                            Classic FM: ' ....usually sounds as though it's coming from cousin Pamela's parlour, all neat and nicely dusted but not a place you'd care to stay long in case you doze off and never wake up again'.

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Gillian Reynolds - who knows a thing or two about radio - draws an interesting distinction in today's i between Radio 3 and Classic FM without being particularly complimentary about either.
                              Radio 3 : Chat abounding. Hosts who sound like teachers on tea breaks'
                              Classic FM: ' ....usually sounds as though it's coming from cousin Pamela's parlour, all neat and nicely dusted but not a place you'd care to stay long in case you doze off and never wake up again'.
                              I think it was probably about the time that FoR3 started that we were in touch with GR. We culled this quote from her for our homepage:

A constant anxiety across Radio 3's 60 years, expressed in many voices, was what the network was for, what it was supposed to be doing, whether it should be a creator, a pacemaker, a "great aesthetic endeavour", offering "something larger to cling to". That argument persists. These days, I long for something larger to cling to in the way of philosophic and aesthetic discourse.

She was always more R4 speech than R3 music, but both provoke the same thought about presentation: what kind of a listener are they addressing? I was going to comment on the Jon Vickers interview on another thread where he said that opera wasn't 'entertainment' - by which I suppose he meant 'mere light entertainment', drop in, listen if you've nothing better to do ... For me entertainment means, above all, requiring me to engage my brain, to think, to analyse, to criticise, to stretch. Anything that doesn't do that doesn't interest me. Most of R3 no longer interests me.
                              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• smittims
                                • Aug 2022

It was, of course, Dr. Johnson who wrote that Opera was 'an exotick and irrational entertainment' inthe 18th cebtury. By the end of the nineteenth George Bernard Shaw could write 'a performance of the Ninth Symphony is not an entertainment. it is a celebration '. I still think of the word as meaning a diversion, a pastime, Something to hear if not to listen to while you're texting ,chatting or cooking.

Comment

Working...
                                X