• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

The RPO at 75

The Royal Philharmonic Orchestra celebrates its seventy-fifth anniversary.

I very much enjoyed tonight's celebratory concert from the RAH. Belshazzar's Feast is one of my absolute favourite choir+orchestra pieces. The RPO played with superb elan, I thought. I was very slightly less enthusiastic about the Philharmonia Chorus. Yes, they got the notes right, but there was something fuzzy about the soprano line. Maybe some more 'straight' voices would add clarity?

In the interval talk, the RPO's manager was talking up a concert in November to include Elgar's Violin Concerto and Stravinsky's Petrushka. Did I mis-hear or did he say, "...of course the composers knew each other extremely well"? Really??
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

I thought the RPO had some sort of tie-in with CFM. I seem to recall a large van with the association emblazoned upon it when driving through London a few years ago.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
      https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ztp2

I very much enjoyed tonight's celebratory concert from the RAH. Belshazzar's Feast is one of my absolute favourite choir+orchestra pieces. The RPO played with superb elan, I thought. I was very slightly less enthusiastic about the Philharmonia Chorus. Yes, they got the notes right, but there was something fuzzy about the soprano line. Maybe some more 'straight' voices would add clarity?

In the interval talk, the RPO's manager was talking up a concert in November to include Elgar's Violin Concerto and Stravinsky's Petrushka. Did I mis-hear or did he say, "...of course the composers knew each other extremely well"? Really??
      Only caught part as the choral sections came over on the radio as rather stodgy & thick, unpleasantly so. May have been an engineering issue though.

On the other hand, yes the orchestra but also Terfel were magnificent
      "...the isle is full of noises,
      Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
      Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
      Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• LHC
        • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        I thought the RPO had some sort of tie-in with CFM. I seem to recall a large van with the association emblazoned upon it when driving through London a few years ago.
        I think they used to be billed as Classic FM’s orchestra in London, and some of their concerts were broadcast on CFM. They don’t seem to partner with CFM now (both the LSO and the Philharmonia are now now listed amongst CFM’s orchestral partners, but not the RPO).

Vasily Petrenko has recently taken over as their MD, which might see their stock rise amongst the London-based orchestras after a few moribund years.
        "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
        Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Originally posted by LHC View Post
          Vasily Petrenko has recently taken over as their MD, which might see their stock rise amongst the London-based orchestras after a few moribund years.
          Which reminds me that Domingo Hindoyan has taken over the RLPO. The season should be just about under way now, so I wonder how that is doing.

Comment

• gradus
            • Nov 2010

Congrats RPO, may you and we enjoy many more years of your playing.

Comment

• gedsmk
              • Dec 2010

Originally posted by ardcarp View Post
              https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000ztp2

“Sorry, this episode is not currently available”.

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                Host
                • Jun 2018

Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
                Very strange. It's now changed to "This episode will be available soon" but was definitely there yesterday.
                Perhaps they're correcting a problem?

Comment

• AuntDaisy
                  Host
                  • Jun 2018

Originally posted by AuntDaisy View Post
                  Originally posted by gedsmk View Post
                  Very strange. It's now changed to "This episode will be available soon" but was definitely there yesterday.
                  Perhaps they're correcting a problem?
                  It's back and now starts with "This programme has been edited since broadcast".

From comparing to a grotty off-air, mention of the new corporate sponsor has gone and the Interval Talk's historic Beecham clips have been replaced by over 9 minutes of audience muttering / orchestra tuning (starting ~53 mins in)! Understandable cuts, but why not just fade in/out?
                  Sadly, the last 30 mins of fillers also seem to have gone - Francesco Scarlatti, Corelli, Vivaldi & Telemann.
                  Last edited by AuntDaisy; 23-09-21, 11:02. Reason: Updated cuts

Comment

• Keraulophone
                    • Nov 2010

Now at 1:10:18 there's a silence while we don't hear the Beecham bonbon, Chabrier's Joyeuse marche.

The Delius showed the strings and wind in fine form, VP reminding us of Beecham's delicate shading in this music.

Although the sops of the Philharmonia Chorus sounded slightly fluttery, they were suitably expressive in the gentler passages and the men were robust. The choir/orchestra balance was well judged. Over forty years ago, the Brighton Festival Chorus turned down an offer to become the Royal Philharmonic Chorus, so the RPO remains the only major London 'symphony' orchestra without its own chorus. The BFC under its late founder Laszlo Heltay had a younger sounding top line, and can still be heard partnering the RPO. Bryn Terfel has become too shouty in this role, though he's very dramatic; more nobility (Dennis Noble!) would be welcome.

Comment

• cloughie
                      • Dec 2011

RPO at 75 - time to air the previous bosses’ recordings - Beecham and Kempe - a mine of joy there. I suppose it is too much to hope that the Dorati Beethoven cycle from the 70s will be reissued! The 5th closely rivalled the Carlos Kleiber at the time of its first release on Contour!

Comment

• gradus
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                        RPO at 75 - time to air the previous bosses’ recordings - Beecham and Kempe - a mine of joy there. I suppose it is too much to hope that the Dorati Beethoven cycle from the 70s will be reissued! The 5th closely rivalled the Carlos Kleiber at the time of its first release on Contour!
                        Seconded!
                        By a strange coincidence I was in the cutting room chatting to the engineer when the Dorati master tape was transferred to disc.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                          • Nov 2010

Full disclosure: I haven't yet listened to this concert. But for anyone who wants to hear a sampler of the RPO on their recent tour on this side of the pond (obviously the first since the pandemic began), WQXR has this for your listening perusal:

Tune in on Thursday, August 18th at 9pm to hear the encore of the Royal Philharmonic Orchestra for its first Carnegie Hall performance in 25 years.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                            Full disclosure: I haven't yet listened to this concert. But for anyone who wants to hear a sampler of the RPO on their recent tour on this side of the pond (obviously the first since the pandemic began), WQXR has this for your listening perusal:

https://www.wqxr.org/story/royal-phi...nic-orchestra/
                            The comments seem very positive . Petrenko is a big plus for the RPO.

Comment

Working...
                            X