• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • french frank
    Administrator/Moderator
    • Feb 2007

Originally posted by StephenO View Post
    Not too keen on negative threads either but don't you think this one just cries out for the return of Cellini?!
    Abracadabra!

(He's now Ariosto but clearly is busy today )
    It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• StephenO

Originally posted by french frank View Post
      Abracadabra!
      Magic! Thanks, Dumbledore.

Comment

• doversoul1
        Ex Member
        • Dec 2010

I didn’t think this was meant to be a negative thread. Mandryka didn’t ask in the OP to name the conductors whom the members thought incompetent. I thought he asked what made a conductor ‘didn’t work’ with some orchestras.

Ariosto
        If you are contributing to this thread, do keep your new spots. They are so much nicer.

Comment

• johnb
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
          Ariosto
          If you are contributing to this thread, do keep your new spots. They are so much nicer.
          Well - I've always enjoyed Ariosto's contributions, however his spots are doing.

Comment

• salymap
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

I used to travel to the RAH morning rehearsals on a no 9 bus from Charing Cross quite often. To help the librarian, rather than play in the orchestra. There were always five or six musicians airing their views on whoever was in charge that day.Wild horses, etc wouldn't get me to name the players or orchestra but, boy, the things they would like to do to X,Y or Z.Some orchestral players are like that, only a few but they then infect the others if a rehearsal is not going well. Trumpet players are the worst. Enough.
            Last edited by salymap; 31-07-11, 16:20. Reason: typo

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by salymap View Post
              Trumpet players are the worst.
              You're telling me, salymap!

British Music Hall star Norman Evans here with his puppet Panda. This sketch is taken from 'Over The Garden Wall' - Mancunian Film Company (1950) Visit www.i...

Comment

• umslopogaas
                • Nov 2010

The New York Philharmonic are apparently legendary in their contempt for conductors, with the possible exceptions of Bruno Walter and Leonard Bernstein. I've always liked this quote (from Chambers Music Quotations):

[When Artur Rodzinski asked the NYPO if they had any suggestions for improving the performance of a Mahler symphony]:
                "Yep. Send for Bruno Walter."

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by umslopogaas View Post
                  The New York Philharmonic are apparently legendary in their contempt for conductors, with the possible exceptions of Bruno Walter and Leonard Bernstein. I've always liked this quote (from Chambers Music Quotations):

[When Artur Rodzinski asked the NYPO if they had any suggestions for improving the performance of a Mahler symphony]:
                  "Yep. Send for Bruno Walter."
                  Classic NYPO hard-headed wit!

I also like the famous riposte to Klemperer: 'Klemps, you talka-too much.'

Apparently, the VPO cancelled Sinopoli's contract after they'd become convinced that he'd lost his place in the score during a concert. In London, Sinopoli's predilection for asking his musicians to 'psychanalyse' a composer's intentions earned him much derision, though his DG contract made the Philharmonia so much money that no one had the guts to object.

I'm inclined to agree with the comment upthread about 'truly' incompetent conductors disappearing very quickly. Hst, I've sat through some performances by the aforementioned Simone Young where I've heard truly unique interpretations of scores I thought I knew well.....

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                    Mandryka

I think you're way ahead of me in the offensive stakes
                    Way ahead of everybody........probably even me.....and that's saying something.........
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      Way ahead of everybody........probably even me.....and that's saying something.........

Oh, I dunno about that, Mr.P....I've yet to have a posting edited by a moderator because of 'personal abuse' directed at another member.

Hst, despite your rather vexed feelings toward me, I'm glad to have you around: right-wingers on classical music forums are rarer than four leaf clovers.
                      Last edited by Guest; 31-07-11, 21:03.

Comment

• Panjandrum

Originally posted by Mahlerei View Post
                        I've said my bit. These negative threads are a bore (to me, at least).
                        I'm afraid all these sanctimonious types are a bore to me. If you don't like a thread why not keep your views to yourself like a good chap.

Comment

• Ariosto

I seem to be in demand today! I'm afraid I was entertaining guests so I did not see this thread.

As you all know I love conductors and won't have a word said against them. But of course I wouldn't try and stop most from self harm ...

I'm told by some of my colleagues that most of 'em are pretty incompetent - but what do I know, I can't judge. I did see one on TV late tonight as I watched play it again Sam, the concert with Midori, and all my friends tell me he's the biggest joke to hit the rostrum since ... well who, I don't know.

But I think they are having me on because he looks like a nice young chappie, and I appreciate his being able to grin all the time, and he bends his legs beautifully.

No, conductor bashing is not nice, and I think you should all be ashamed of yourselves. (After all, they never made it as performers, so giving them a stick and not letting them make a sound is only to be applauded, as they can't really do much harm, and nobody dies). (Unless it's of boredom).

Comment

• Ariosto

Originally posted by doversoul View Post
                            Ariosto
                            This has given me an idea, we could have a competition called "spot the conductor" - just for the Proms.

Has anyone spotted one yet? keep looking, one must turn up soon!!

P.S.

I misread the thread title and thought it said "Incontinent Conductors" There are plenty of those about ...

Comment

• LHC
                              • Jan 2011

Originally posted by Mandryka View Post
                              Apparently, the VPO cancelled Sinopoli's contract after they'd become convinced that he'd lost his place in the score during a concert. In London, Sinopoli's predilection for asking his musicians to 'psychanalyse' a composer's intentions earned him much derision, though his DG contract made the Philharmonia so much money that no one had the guts to object.
                              You are Norman Lebrecht and I claim my remaindered copy of your last book.
                              "I do not approve of anything that tampers with natural ignorance. Ignorance is like a delicate exotic fruit; touch it and the bloom is gone. The whole theory of modern education is radically unsound. Fortunately in England, at any rate, education produces no effect whatsoever. If it did, it would prove a serious danger to the upper classes, and probably lead to acts of violence in Grosvenor Square."
                              Lady Bracknell The importance of Being Earnest

Comment

• Mandryka

Originally posted by LHC View Post
                                You are Norman Lebrecht and I claim my remaindered copy of your last book.

That's the single worst thing anyone has ever said to me.

Comment

Working...
                                X