• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Bryn
    Banned
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Barbirollians View Post
    Just on my way home from the RFH - sensational performance of Bruckner 7 from Philharmonia/Blomstedt. I was at Haitink’s last Prom and fine and moving as that was this was to my ears much the greater performance - it was enormously cogent, everything unfolded superbly from first note to last .

And to top it off Mozart Pc23 in the first half with Maria Joao Pires in a lovely , polished gorgeously musical performance - dancing finale and a pin drop slow movement - much the best concert I have been to for a long time.
    Any signs of it being recorded, by the Beeb or otherwise?

Comment

• Barbirollians
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Any signs of it being recorded, by the Beeb or otherwise?
      Sadly no sign of microphones or cameras.

Comment

• Prommer
        • Dec 2010

Sadly no sign of microphones or cameras.
        Typical!

Comment

• Dave2002
          • Dec 2010

Just on my way home from the RFH - sensational performance of Bruckner 7 from Philharmonia/Blomstedt. I was at Haitink’s last Prom and fine and moving as that was this was to my ears much the greater performance - it was enormously cogent, everything unfolded superbly from first note to last .

And to top it off Mozart Pc23 in the first half with Maria Joao Pires in a lovely , polished gorgeously musical performance - dancing finale and a pin drop slow movement - much the best concert I have been to for a long time.
          Good to know about. Interesting - I remember when Pires was a relatively young discovery. Now I find she's older than I am - something which I'm finding less and less with performers these days - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Jo%C3%A3o_Pires

Glad you enjoyed it.

Comment

• alywin
            • Apr 2011

I REALLY REALLY wanted to go to this - had even booked the day off specially - then a downstairs neighbour caused chaos and I ended up having to work to get back on schedule

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I've just noticed that Blomstedt is on In Tune later today.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                • Nov 2010

Sorry for the late heads-up, but in less than half an hour from WRTI, an archival concert of Mozart 18 and Bruckner 4 with the Fabulous Philadelphians, Emanuel Ax, and Herbert Blomstedt:

The Philadelphia Orchestra in Concert brings you Mozart’s Piano Concerto No. 18, featuring Emanuel Ax, and Bruckner’s Symphony No. 4 — both conducted by Herbert Blomstedt, still energetic on the podium in his mid-90s.

This will be available for something like another 2 weeks or so afterwards.

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                  • Nov 2010

For your Friday, a feel-good NYT article on Herbert Blomstedt and a recent VPO concert in Salzburg:

Comment

• oliver sudden
                    • Feb 2024

You scared me there!

Comment

• richardfinegold
                      • Sep 2012

Originally posted by bluestateprommer View Post
                      For your Friday, a feel-good NYT article on Herbert Blomstedt and a recent VPO concert in Salzburg:

https://www.nytimes.com/2024/08/02/a...conductor.html
                      Hopefully the NY Phil will take page from the Monteux/LSO playbook and sign him to a 25 year contract

Comment

• Darkbloom
                        • Feb 2015

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post

Hopefully the NY Phil will take page from the Monteux/LSO playbook and sign him to a 25 year contract
                        With an option to renew, as I recall.

Comment

Working...
                        X