X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alain Maréchal
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
    Surely, that YouTube link is to the studio recording, as licenced "by SME (on behalf of Sony Classical)".
    I do not know. I cannot get the link to work at all. However, there is somewhere a valid link to the television recording of the concert*. Try the ones in the "youtube" thread, where I once posted one.

* only the Bernstein half, unfortunately. The rest was conducted by Hye-Knudsen, and I would have liked to have seen that.

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
      Surely, that YouTube link is to the studio recording, as licenced "by SME (on behalf of Sony Classical)".
      I think it may well be this one:

"Carl Nielsen - Symphony no. 3 - Espansiva - The Royal Orchestra - Leonard Bernstein May 17. 1965"

Comment

• richardfinegold
        • Sep 2012

Regarding Blomstedt Dresden Beethoven, my first impressions were that perhaps they are to non-interventional, but my admiration for them has grown in the two years or so. This is the cycle that I keep on the SD card of my phone, and there is a lot to be said for a Conductor that keeps things moving when the drama is inherent in the score(s), and the sonority of the Staatkapelle is a thing to behold

Comment

• Sir Velo
          • Oct 2012

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
          there is a lot to be said for a Conductor that keeps things moving when the drama is inherent in the score(s), and the sonority of the Staatkapelle is a thing to behold
          Although these days I have a strong preference for HIPP in Beethoven, your advocacy has prompted me to seek these recordings out and I intend to listen to these on Qobuz over the weekend. Among my earliest experiences of these works was the cycle of James Loughran and the Halle who took a similar non interventionist approach which was immensely satisfying in its own right.

Comment

• HighlandDougie
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
            Although these days I have a strong preference for HIPP in Beethoven, your advocacy has prompted me to seek these recordings out and I intend to listen to these on Qobuz over the weekend. Among my earliest experiences of these works was the cycle of James Loughran and the Halle who took a similar non interventionist approach which was immensely satisfying in its own right.
            Not sure if it’s on Qobuz (it surely must be) but the much more recent cycle he recorded with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra is well worth a listen.

Comment

• richardfinegold
              • Sep 2012

Originally posted by HighlandDougie View Post
              Not sure if it’s on Qobuz (it surely must be) but the much more recent cycle he recorded with the Leipzig Gewandhaus Orchestra is well worth a listen.
              I just checked Qobuz. The newer Leipzig set is there. Much further into the Blomstedt offerings there appear to be the earlier set, but the track listings seem to be for the Missa Solemnis. There are various collections that seem to offer a Symphony here or there

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                Banned
                • Jul 2011

Most or all of the Staatskapelle Beethoven here in various issues....

Qobuz is the world leader in 24-bit Hi-Res downloads, offering more than 100 million tracks for streaming in unequalled sound quality (FLAC 16 Bits / 44.1kHz)

Comment

• Sir Velo
                  • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                  Most or all of the Staatskapelle Beethoven here in various issues....

https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/search?q...ven&i=boutique
                  Qobuz have inexplicably managed to bungle the complete Staatskapelle Beethoven sets not once, but twice with St John Chrysostom (!) taking the place of Beethoven for the first 23 tracks (ie first 5 3/5 symphonies). Heaven knows how this incompetence goes undetected. I may report it if I have the patience to navigate the endlessly unwieldy process for logging a complaint!

As a result, having listened to the final two movements of the Sixth, I gave up at the start of the seventh and moved on to the later Leipzig set.

Comment

• Alain Maréchal
                    • Dec 2010

The Staatskapelle recordings are found on Amazon.fr, (I searched for Blomstedt Beethoven Brilliant) not too costly.
                    The link I gave earlier does not seem to work.
                    Last edited by Alain Maréchal; 14-03-20, 13:01. Reason: removal of internet link.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                      The Staatskapelle recordings are found here, not too costly.

https://www.amazon.fr/Symphonies-Int...s=music&sr=1-7
                      They are also in this, https://www.amazon.fr/Beethoven-Mast...ls?ie=UTF8&me= , which also has John Lill in the piano sonatas, plus many more worthwhile recordings. Though listed as sourced from the UK, the lowest cost item is not available at a sensible price from amaon.co.uk. My first copy of this boxed set (different cover design) cost around £40 at the time of its release.

Comment

• Sir Velo
                        • Oct 2012

Originally posted by Alain Maréchal View Post
                        The Staatskapelle recordings are found on Amazon.fr, (I searched for Blomstedt Beethoven Brilliant) not too costly.
                        The link I gave earlier does not seem to work.
                        I've usually found Qobuz responsive when alerted to errors such as this. As a subscriber and one who no longer purchases physical media except rarely, to stream a recording, particularly when one is merely curious to hear the performance, would be my preference.

Comment

• richardfinegold
                          • Sep 2012

I streamed the newer Leipzig Beethoven cycle, from 1-7 yesterday, alternating background listening with spots of being attentive. The broad outlines are similar to the Dresden recordings of the seventies, but there did seem to be some snap in the playing that made for an attractive comparison. I am not sure how much this is due to Blomstedt vs the Orchestra, as I have seemed to note this with the Bruckner of both Blomstedt and Nelsons , and even the Alan Gilbert lead Mahler Third of the Proms a couple of summers back. The Gewandhaus players have a way of sharply edging their phrasing that I find attractive. Anyway, glad to be able to stream and will ultimately get around to 8 and 9.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                            Late Member
                            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by richardfinegold View Post
                            I streamed the newer Leipzig Beethoven cycle, from 1-7 yesterday, alternating background listening with spots of being attentive. The broad outlines are similar to the Dresden recordings of the seventies, but there did seem to be some snap in the playing that made for an attractive comparison. I am not sure how much this is due to Blomstedt vs the Orchestra, as I have seemed to note this with the Bruckner of both Blomstedt and Nelsons , and even the Alan Gilbert lead Mahler Third of the Proms a couple of summers back. The Gewandhaus players have a way of sharply edging their phrasing that I find attractive. Anyway, glad to be able to stream and will ultimately get around to 8 and 9.
                            Be good to hear your thoughts on 8 & 9!
                            Don’t cry for me
                            I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Sir Velo
                              • Oct 2012

Originally posted by jayne lee wilson View Post
                              ... but everything Nielsonian (sic) changed after 2014-15....!
                              Ah yes, the Dudamel and Dausgaard recordings...

Actually, listening to the Oramo set, I might be beginning to change my allegiance, Nielsen wise. Still not sure that Gilbert fully gets all the subtleties of the scores but Oramo is impressive.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
                                Banned
                                • Jul 2011

Originally posted by Sir Velo View Post
                                Ah yes, the Dudamel and Dausgaard recordings...

Actually, listening to the Oramo set, I might be beginning to change my allegiance, Nielsen wise. Still not sure that Gilbert fully gets all the subtleties of the scores but Oramo is impressive.
                                Not so much Dudamel (not really a fan here I'm afraid) or Dausgaard (underwhelmed by his Seattle 3&4), more the cycles from Oramo, Storgårds, P-Järvi (very consistent set, very underrated, much better than his Dad) and Gilbert (terrific Concertos) ....all have their ups and downs but so many marvels too....
                                (see the Nielsen "Composers" Thread for more....)

Comment

Working...
                                X