• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

The Sixteen at 40: R3 in Concert: Tuesday 9 July

On their latest stop in the 2019 Choral Pilgrimage, The Sixteen reach York Minster, where they perform choral music from the 16th and 21st centuries as part of this year's York Early Music Festival.
    The Sixteen’s 2019 Choral Pilgrimage brings together music past and present, highlighting the group’s musical journey over the 40 years since it was founded. Their continuing close relationship with Sir James MacMillan is represented by a new commission, O virgo prudentissima, here contrasted with music by Fayrfax (which appeared on The Sixteen’s very first recording) and complemented by music by Wylkynson and Sheppard. These superb examples of English polyphony are juxtaposed with stunning music by John Tavener and Eric Whitacre

Presented by Hannah French

Plainsong: Salve Regina
    Tavener: Hymn to the Mother of God
    Sheppard: Gloria from Cantate Mass
    Eric Whitacre: Sainte-Chapelle
    Wylkynson: Salve Regina a9
    Fayrfax: Aeternae laudis lilium
    Gabriel Jackson: Ave Maria
    Tavener: Hymn for the Dormition of the Mother of God
    Sir James MacMillan: O virgo prudentissima
    Sheppard: Agnus Dei from Cantate Mass

The Sixteen (choir)
    Harry Christophers (conductor)
    The Sixteen sing 16th- and 21st-century British classics at the York Early Music Festival.
  • Pulcinella
    Host
    • Feb 2014

My partner and I will be there.
    Accompanying CD already acquired (but not yet played).

Comment

• Old Grumpy
      • Jan 2011

Looking forward to this, either in real time or catch-up.

OG

Comment

• DracoM
        Host
        • Mar 2007

You'll need to keep the volume up. Slightly weird perspective on sound balance.
        For me, its just that top line with The Sixteen - all expert, all smack in tune, yes, yes, but............

Comment

• Pulcinella
          Host
          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
          You'll need to keep the volume up. Slightly weird perspective on sound balance.
          That's a shame.
          For me, its just that top line with The Sixteen - all expert, all smack in tune, yes, yes, but............
          But you needed to be there.

Comment

• teamsaint
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Pulcinella View Post
            That's a shame.

But you needed to be there.
            Hope you enjoyed it, Pulcers.
            You should have. The Agnus Dei was “radiant, “ and the Minster was, er...something or other. Fabulous? Fantastic? Amazing?

Half the stained glass in England. Seems an extraordinary thing.

I’m assuming I should make the effort to catch up with the first half ?

( We heard them sing at Worcester not long ago, and they were most excellent. )
            I will not be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed or numbered. My life is my own.

I am not a number, I am a free man.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
              Gone fishin'
              • Sep 2011

... and broadcast on the 35th anniversary of the fire at the Minster.
              [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Pulcinella
                Host
                • Feb 2014

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
                ... and broadcast on the 35th anniversary of the fire at the Minster.
                Indeed!
                I was a little surprised that the clergyman who welcomed us all before the broadcast started didn't mention that.

Here's a link (I hope it works) to an article in yesterday's local paper:
                Last edited by Pulcinella; 10-07-19, 08:17. Reason: Link about fire added.

Comment

• doversoul1
                  Ex Member
                  • Dec 2010

Originally posted by teamsaint View Post
                  Hope you enjoyed it, Pulcers.
                  You should have. The Agnus Dei was “radiant, “ and the Minster was, er...something or other. Fabulous? Fantastic? Amazing?

Half the stained glass in England. Seems an extraordinary thing.

I’m assuming I should make the effort to catch up with the first half ?

( We heard them sing at Worcester not long ago, and they were most excellent. )
                  Re: the first half. Wylkynson's Salve Regina was especially worth hearing, I think. But what does a9 (in the schedule page) mean?

Comment

• edashtav
                    • Jul 2012

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                    Re: the first half. Wylkynson's Salve Regina was especially worth hearing, I think. But what does a9 (in the schedule page) mean?

Scored for 9 voices?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                      Host
                      • Feb 2014

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
                      Scored for 9 voices?
                      Yes!
                      The programme notes say:
                      The unusual scoring, which divides the choir into nine parts, is explained by the illuminated letters that introduce each voice, each depicting one of the nine orders of angels including Seraphim, Cherubim and Archangels.

Comment

• doversoul1
                        Ex Member
                        • Dec 2010

Yes!
                        The programme notes say:
                        The unusual scoring, which divides the choir into nine parts, is explained by the illuminated letters that introduce each voice, each depicting one of the nine orders of angels including Seraphim, Cherubim and Archangels.
                        Thank you. I think Hannah French listed the nine orders (or some of them. I wasn't counting). Was it how the title of the work was published or/and usually printed now?

Comment

• Pulcinella
                          Host
                          • Feb 2014

Originally posted by doversoul1 View Post
                          Thank you. I think Hannah French listed the nine orders (or some of them. I wasn't counting). Was it how the title of the work was published or/and usually printed now?
                          I think it is a fairly common designation. Where and when it originated I don't know.
                          The three Byrd masses, for example, are often seen on cathedral music lists as Byrd à 3, Byrd à 4, and Byrd à 5.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                            Gone fishin'
                            • Sep 2011

I think it is a fairly common designation. Where and when it originated I don't know.
                            The three Byrd masses, for example, are often seen on cathedral music lists as Byrd à 3, Byrd à 4, and Byrd à 5.
                            - and earlier Music, too - all those In Nomine a 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 ....
                            [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
                            X