• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • doversoul1
    Ex Member
    • Dec 2010

Britten and Handel by Vox Luminis: R3 in Concert Wednesday 26 June

Blessed Cecilia!

Benjamin Britten chose to celebrate the opening of Snape Maltings Concert Hall and its glowing acoustic at the 1967 Aldeburgh Festival with Handel's Ode for St Cecilia's Day, a setting of Dryden's dedication to music's patron saint. Five decades later at a concert from this year's Festival recorded in the same venue, one of Europe's finest choirs echoes that programme and adds more Handel - and another tribute to St Cecilia, a setting of Auden from Britten himself.
    Presented by Martin Handley
    Vox Luminis celebrates music's patron saint at this year's Aldeburgh Festival.
  • oddoneout
    • Nov 2015

I listened to the Dixit. I was pleased they chose a more relaxed tempo than is sometimes the case, but a couple of things I didn't like so much. The female soloists had a tendency to make a slight yelp when attacking some of their notes, and there seemed to be a sudden doubling of tempo halfway through the final movement.

Comment

• doversoul1
      Ex Member
      • Dec 2010

I enjoyed Dixit Dominus but thought the soprano was a bit over tasked in Ode for St Cecilia’s Day. The instrumental ensemble sounded very good. Who were they? Does Vox Luminis have a regular ensemble? I missed the Britten.

Comment

Working...
      X