• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Afternoon Concert 5.04.19

As I drove home today, I switched on Radio 3 and was pleased to hear the choral version of VW’s Serenade to Music.

I was listening to this “blind” without preconceptions. Alongside some very fine orchestral playing, the choir didn’t sound particularly involved, but as time went on, I began to question its overall quality. There was so much excessive vibrato that I was prepared to forgive and forget the BBC Singers for their past transgressions, who had never sounded as bad as this. It was dire.

At the end, awaited the announcer’s revelation of the culprits. It WAS the BBC Singers. I was beginning to believe they had finally begun to improve, based on some recent broadcasts. Alas, no. The sopranos sounded like mermaids being strangled. Horrific!
  • Cockney Sparrow
    • Jan 2014

The defenders of the professionals are massing at the FoR3 borders as I type. Has it been too amicable in these parts lately ? That is, apart from exchanges of views on the merits of Haydn .

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Cockney Sparrow View Post
      The defenders of the professionals are massing at the FoR3 borders as I type. Has it been too amicable in these parts lately ? That is, apart from exchanges of views on the merits of Haydn .

Comment

• pastoralguy
        • Nov 2010

I thought the violin solo was terrific. I presume it was Steven Bryant.

Comment

• oddoneout
          • Nov 2015

I didn't hear this concert, so I wonder how things went when the BBCS were joined by the Dubai Opera Festival Chorus later in the programme?

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
            Host
            • Nov 2010

Originally posted by oddoneout View Post
            I didn't hear this concert, so I wonder how things went when the BBCS were joined by the Dubai Opera Festival Chorus later in the programme?
            Much better!

Comment

Working...
            X