Vienna Philharmonic Summer Concert tonight.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MickyD
    • Nov 2010

Vienna Philharmonic Summer Concert tonight.

On BBC Four - looks like Miss Derham will be getting the chance to put on another posh frock...

The Vienna Philharmonic performs music by Mussorgsky, Liszt, Sibelius and Paganini.
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for pointing out this concert, MickyD. I really enjoyed last year's broadcast - it reminded me just how crass the Proms-in-the-Park broadcasts are in comparison. The Viennese go to listen to the music, instead of going there in the desperate attempt to wave to the cameras.

Comment

• amateur51

Oh dear, my heart sank when I read that Gergiev will be in charge.

When does the man take a holiday?

Comment

• Ferretfancy
        • Nov 2010

amateur51

Press the red button to see his fingers flutter!

Comment

• remdataram
          • Mar 2011

Oh dear, my heart sank when I read that it's the Vienna Philharmonic!

It will be interesting to see whether they have joined the 21st Century in allowing a decent number of Women to join their ranks - I don't understand how they've got away with the blatant sexism for so long.

Anyway, here's to an enjoyable concert.........

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Ferretfancy View Post
            amateur51

Press the red button to see his fingers flutter!

It's the sweatin' and the flutterin' that get to me, plus the urgent desire to shout either 'Anyone got a comb for the Maestro?' or 'Oi! Gergiev! Get your bl**dy hair cut!'

Comment

• remdataram
              • Mar 2011

The concert was recorded on 2nd June.

This is the program:-

Franz Liszt: Les Préludes
              Niccolò Paganini: Violin Concerto No. 1 in D major, 1st Movement (arr. Fritz Kreisler)
              Jean Sibelius: Scene with Cranes, op. 44/2
              Modest Mussorgsky: Pictures at an Exhibition (Instrumentation by Maurice Ravel)

Comment

• salymap
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Gergiev has cut his hair by the look of it but his fingers still flutter of course.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Originally posted by remdataram View Post
                  Oh dear, my heart sank when I read that it's the Vienna Philharmonic!

It will be interesting to see whether they have joined the 21st Century in allowing a decent number of Women to join their ranks - I don't understand how they've got away with the blatant sexism for so long.

Anyway, here's to an enjoyable concert.........
                  We spotted a total of three women. I suspect that's the minimum they can include to avoid contravening Austrian (or EU) law.

Comment

• Mr Pee
                    • Nov 2010

I had a tricky choice tonight- the VPO on the BBC- with added waffle- or the BPO on Sky Arts 2 in HD. I'm afraid the BPO won! A fantastic Brahms 4, amongst other delights. And of course I did not have to listen to Katy Derham, or anybody else for that matter. Just the music.
                    Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• amateur51

Originally posted by Mr Pee View Post
                      I had a tricky choice tonight- the VPO on the BBC- with added waffle- or the BPO on Sky Arts 2 in HD. I'm afraid the BPO won! A fantastic Brahms 4, amongst other delights. And of course I did not have to listen to Katy Derham, or anybody else for that matter. Just the music.

I'm reminded of that memorable line from Schlesinger's Sunday Bloody Sunday "oh not those tired old tits again"

Comment

• Mr Pee
                        • Nov 2010

oh not those tired old tits again
                        What a very strange way to refer to the Berlin Philharmonic.
                        Patriotism is supporting your country all the time, and your government when it deserves it.

Mark Twain.

Comment

• Norfolk Born

Not to mention the Goldner Quartet on Radio 3 - AND Coronation Street.
                          Honestly...you wait ages for something decent on the radio or TV and then they send along a whole batch of stuff at once. I think it's called The Number 11 Bus Syndrome.

Comment

• amateur51

What a very strange way to refer to the Berlin Philharmonic.
                            You silly twisted boy, you

Comment

• Alison
                              • Nov 2010

I enjoyed the VPO concert very much apart from the violin concerto. What was that arrangement all about ?

Gergiev's power and intensity offset the inevitably rather diffuse acoustic.

Maybe not a concert to keep in the archives, still less to buy on disc.

It's likely to turn up on Sky Arts one would have thought.

Comment

Working...
                              X