Halle/Manze, Wednesday October 17; Purcell, Dvorak, Vaughan Willams.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kindofblue
    • Nov 2015

Halle/Manze, Wednesday October 17; Purcell, Dvorak, Vaughan Willams.

An afternoon performance of a small piece by Purcell, orchestrated by Manze - all of four minutes long - the Dvorak Cello Concerto, and RVW's 'London Symphony'. The Dvorak was very beautiful, sumptuous at times, though there were occasions when the balance between the soloist Jian Wang and the orchestra was a little out of sorts. [You couldn't hear the cello...] It was the London Symphony I had come to hear and I was not disappointed. Manze has the demeanour of a professor, keen to share his love of music. His conducting is very physical, often leaning forward, praying mantis-like, to pull out the sounds from the players. It works, the pathos and power of this work was completely absorbing. It started incredibly quietly and built up delicately, making the first climax all the more telling. He paced the whole thing beautifully. The solo parts - viola, flute, violin - were perfect, and the percussion was more to the fore than in the recordings that have, to good effect. Memorable.
  • pastoralguy
    • Nov 2010

That's very interesting since we heard the Dvorak 'cello concerto conducted by Manze about five years ago with the BBCSSO. Again, the 'cellist could barely be heard over the too loud contribution of the solo clarinet. (Somehow making it Dvorak's clarinet Concerto!)

I did email the BBCSSO's head honcho who directed me to an illiterate review by one of Scotland's leading rags. (Frannkly, I wouldn't trust this 'critic' to change the litter in our cats box!) Anyway, Manze's CONducting left me thinking he should stick to Grade 7 violin pieces.

Comment

• AjAjAjH
      • Nov 2010

Interesting, I was at the same concert; sat in my usual seat in the circle alcove and was surprised that I heard all of the 'cello part. Surprised because my seat is behind the orchestra, just above the horns were I don't always hear all of the solo parts. It was a beautiful performance. I didn't rate the Purcell. Andrew Manze has a growing reputation in the VW repertoire and this performance could have done nothing but enhance that reputation. This was the third time I have been at concerts he has conducted and I am greatly impressed.

Comment

• Pabmusic
        • May 2011

Originally posted by AjAjAjH View Post
        Interesting, I was at the same concert; sat in my usual seat in the circle alcove and was surprised that I heard all of the 'cello part. Surprised because my seat is behind the orchestra, just above the horns were I don't always hear all of the solo parts. It was a beautiful performance. I didn't rate the Purcell. Andrew Manze has a growing reputation in the VW repertoire and this performance could have done nothing but enhance that reputation. This was the third time I have been at concerts he has conducted and I am greatly impressed.
        The Dvorak concerto can suffer from balance problems (I've conducted it and know first-hand), though there are some clear decisions for the conductor - do you allow the soloist's arpeggios to overpower the woodwind (who have the tune)? My own preference is not to.

Comment

Working...
        X