X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Overall a very good opening night concert. The Spring Symphony is on of my favourite Britten works. Compared to the recording that Rattle made with the CBSO on EMI, this performance is sooo much better. A classic performance, imo. The only thing that annoyed me as always, is Alice Coote's singing. MrsBBM remarked how shrill her voice is, which marginally spoiled the evening. She also said that she seemed to be like that anyway! The Birtwistle was quite hard to make out! Holst's Egdon Heath, always a joy to hear, as Rattle said in his speech, not very often played, as Boult would say to him, my dear boy!

The Turnage was another classic from this composer.

On the whole, a very enjoyable concert.
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
      Gone fishin'
      • Sep 2011

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
      The Spring Symphony is on of my favourite Britten works. Compared to the recording that Rattle made with the CBSO on EMI ...
      I don't think that this exists, Bbm?
      [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

• Bryn
        Banned
        • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
        I don't think that this exists, Bbm?
        Indeed not. The War Requiem in that set was conducted by Rattle. but the Spring Symphony's conductor was Previn.

Comment

• BBMmk2
          Late Member
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
          Indeed not. The War Requiem in that set was conducted by Rattle. but the Spring Symphony's conductor was Previn.
          Really? Must have a look in that case. Thanks.

NB, indeed yes. Thanks again.
          Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• edashtav
            • Jul 2012

Originally posted by BBMmk2 View Post
            Overall a very good opening night concert. […]The only thing that annoyed me as always, is Alice Coote's singing. […] The Birtwistle was quite hard to make out! Holst's Egdon Heath, always a joy to hear, as Rattle said in his speech, not very often played, as Boult would say to him, my dear boy!

The Turnage was another classic from this composer.

On the whole, a very enjoyable concert.
            Yes indeed, bbm, a good start from Simon, and well attended, I hear. I, too, loved the Turnage which has aged well. The Birtwistle ‘present’ was more of a speck than a chip off the block but, once again, the old Birtwistle ‘sound’ remained. I’m not a Britten fan but Sir Simon kept my attention, and Alice Coote is as loved by me as she is hated by others.

Comment

• BBMmk2
              Late Member
              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by edashtav View Post
              Yes indeed, bbm, a good start from Simon, and well attended, I hear. I, too, loved the Turnage which has aged well. The Birtwistle ‘present’ was more of a speck than a chip off the block but, once again, the old Birtwistle ‘sound’ remained. I’m not a Britten fan but Sir Simon kept my attention, and Alice Coote is as loved by me as she is hated by others.
              Ah, then MrsBBM and me are not the only ones then!
              Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Petrushka
                • Nov 2010

I'd expect the Britten to be an LSO Live release next Spring. I followed last night's performance with the text included with the Previn LP and must acknowledge the excellent and informative sleeve note to that LP by Hugh Graham. It's a model of its kind and much better than the small print stuff in 3 languages found in most CD booklets these days. I bet it wasn't retained for the CD issue.
                "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• Pulcinella
                  Host
                  • Feb 2014

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                  I'd expect the Britten to be an LSO Live release next Spring. I followed last night's performance with the text included with the Previn LP and must acknowledge the excellent and informative sleeve note to that LP by Hugh Graham. It's a model of its kind and much better than the small print stuff in 3 languages found in most CD booklets these days. I bet it wasn't retained for the CD issue.
                  Text and notes by Hugh Graham in the CD release I have: British Composers series (c/w Four Sea Interludes — sadly not the Passacaglia too; CD notes 'from a note by Douglas Pudney' for those).

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

I hope it will be released on LSO Live SACD very soon! I hope the Stravinsky will be too but haven’t seen anything about that yet.
                    Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• PJPJ
                      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
                      The music content of the whole concert is somewhat less than 80 minutes, so it'll all fit on a single LSO Live SACD.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                        Late Member
                        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                        The music content of the whole concert is somewhat less than 80 minutes, so it'll all fit on a single LSO Live SACD.
                        Really? That sounds great!
                        Don’t cry for me

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                        X