X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

Schumann first sonata

A rarity these days and probably never a regularly programmed piece, this afternoon Francesco Piemontesi gave a performance to remember of RS's magnificent first sonata. Look no further for bliss Schumannophiles!
  • Flay
    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gradus View Post
    Look no further for bliss Schumannophiles!
    Thanks. It did take a little looking to eventually find it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bb3wy3

1 hour and 1 minute in
    Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Thanks, gradus. Will listen to it on catchup - one of my favourite Schumann piano works. Here's M. Perahia's take on it:
      A sonata which illustrates beautifully Schumann’s narrative approach to the form, featuring typically vivid flights of fantasy bound together by the device o...
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
        A rarity these days and probably never a regularly programmed piece, this afternoon Francesco Piemontesi gave a performance to remember of RS's magnificent first sonata. Look no further for bliss Schumannophiles!
        Caught part of a performance of it the other day by Martin Helmchen on TTN (1.38am, early hours of Thursday 21/6) and realised I didn't know it at all. Welcome flag, gradus, thanks - Piemontesi is one of my favourite young pianists
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
          Host
          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Flay View Post
          Thanks. It did take a little looking to eventually find it here: https://www.bbc.co.uk/radio/play/b0bb3wy3

1 hour and 1 minute in
          Thank you Flay! That would have foxed me otherwise.
          "...the isle is full of noises,
          Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
          Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
          Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Flay
            • Mar 2007

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
            Thank you Flay! That would have foxed me otherwise.
            It wasn’t on the schedule, which is lazy of them. It was worth the sleuthing though.
            Pacta sunt servanda !!!

Comment

• gurnemanz
              • Nov 2010

I am one of those aforementioned "Schumannophiles" and have three recordings: Pollini, Gilels on BBC Legends, mono 1959, and Jörg Demus. My favourite is Pollini who seems to me to get everything right with crystal clarity. The Gilels is a thrilling live BBC Studio account of a work which was said to be very dear to his heart, with fast speeds (9.45 mins for the 1st mov). I also enjoy Demus with slightly less appealing piano sound (on the great value Documents label complete solo piano edition).

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                I am one of those aforementioned "Schumannophiles" and have three recordings: Pollini, Gilels on BBC Legends, mono 1959, and Jörg Demus. My favourite is Pollini who seems to me to get everything right with crystal clarity. The Gilels is a thrilling live BBC Studio account of a work which was said to be very dear to his heart, with fast speeds (9.45 mins for the 1st mov). I also enjoy Demus with slightly less appealing piano sound (on the great value Documents label complete solo piano edition).
                Presumably, you managed to miss out on the short-lived ultra-bargain price of the Dana Ciocarli survey. Generally very fine playing and musicality, with excellent piano sound.

Comment

• gurnemanz
                  • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
                  Presumably, you managed to miss out on the short-lived ultra-bargain price of the Dana Ciocarli survey. Generally very fine playing and musicality, with excellent piano sound.

[/IMG]
                  I remember that from - presumably - the bargains thread but resisted. I'm showing unaccustomed restraint lately.

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

Originally posted by gurnemanz View Post
                    I remember that from - presumably - the bargains thread but resisted. I'm showing unaccustomed restraint lately.
                    I ordered six sets. Schumann is a composer held in high regard by many of the erstwhile Scratch Orchestra members I remain in frequent contact with. I have passed on sets to some of the pianists among them, and each has commented on how much they appreciated her approach to the works.

Comment

• gradus
                      • Nov 2010

Apologies to all for forgetting to give the map reference.

Comment

• verismissimo
                        • Nov 2010

Haven't listened to it in ages. I have Malcolm Binns and Earl Wild, both on LP. The Binns still sounds great! Will audition the Wild again later …

Comment

• verismissimo
                          • Nov 2010

Originally posted by verismissimo View Post
                          Haven't listened to it in ages. I have Malcolm Binns and Earl Wild, both on LP. The Binns still sounds great! Will audition the Wild again later …
                          Actually, I've also got it in a complete set of Schumann piano music by Jorg Demus. Generally I find his Schumann muscular but lacking poetry - this sonata no exception.

Comment

• ahinton
                            • Nov 2010

I remember wonderful performances and a BBC broadcast of this work by Yonty Solomon; I don't know if BBC has retained its copy of the recording...

Comment

• Pianorak
                              • Nov 2010

Originally posted by ahinton View Post
                              . . . a BBC broadcast of this work by Yonty Solomon . . .
                              I first got to know this work listening to Yonty practising/playing this Schumann sonata (early sixties). Loved it ever since. Can't remember a BBC broadcast.
                              My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

Working...
                              X