• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Schreker: Die Gezeichneten; i-Player

I really need to study the listings more carefully - I'd missed this broadcast from a fortnight ago, but thank heavens for the i-Player - there's still a fortnight left to hear Schreker's gripping opera from 1914(-ish: according to WIKI, the work was published the year before it was completed!). The musical style of "The Stigmatised" will be familiar to anyone who knows Schreker's more familiar Die Ferne Klang - or, indeed, his Overture to a Tragedy which is an expanded version of this opera's Prelude: big, lavish, Late Romantic stuff. Ingo Metzmacher conducts this Bavarian State Opera production from last year, a rare and, for my money, unmissable opportunity to hear it - highly recommended.

Kate Molleson presents Franz Schreker's Die Gezeichneten from the Bavarian State Opera.

The WIKI entry:

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

"Rarely produced" - there's the Mauceri recording originally in DECCA's "That's Entartetement" series in the 1990s: and then two productions come along at once - this Bavarian one from last year (repeated this, with Markus Stenz taking over from Metzmacher) and another premiered in Jamuary this year at the Berlin Komische Oper. I hope the latter - the staging of which didn't impress the Music Critic of the Financial Times - gets a broadcast sometime, too.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]

Comment

Working...
    X