• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • ferneyhoughgeliebte
    Gone fishin'
    • Sep 2011

Stockhausen: Gruppen; LSO/ Rattle, Pintscher, Ward, Sat 30/6/18, 8:10

A deferred relay from the Turbine Halls of Tate Modern. Rattle has featured this great work in his concerts before - it certainly brings out the best of his talents. Not to be missed, also, is a rare chance to hear Messiaen's Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum which opens the concert.

Gruppen - Stockhausen's avant-garde work for three orchestras from Tate Modern, London.

(I suppose, if there's an "Early Music Late", this must be "Hear & Now Early"?)

The Beeb website also has a handy mini-introduction to Gruppen:

It's fantastically difficult to think of anything that could adequately follow Janacek's From the House of the Dead (broadcast immediately before this) - the Messiaen and Stockhausen are two of the few works that could pull it off.
    [FONT=Comic Sans MS][I][B]Numquam Satis![/B][/I][/FONT]
  • BBMmk2
    Late Member
    • Nov 2010

Thanks for this Ferney. Looking forward to it!
    Don’t cry for me
    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Bryn
      Banned
      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by ferneyhoughgeliebte View Post
      A deferred relay from the Turbine Halls of Tate Modern. Rattle has featured this great work in his concerts before - it certainly brings out the best of his talents. Not to be missed, also, is a rare chance to hear Messiaen's Et exspecto resurrectionem mortuorum which opens the concert.

Gruppen - Stockhausen's avant-garde work for three orchestras from Tate Modern, London.

(I suppose, if there's an "Early Music Late", this must be "Hear & Now Early"?)

The Beeb website also has a handy mini-introduction to Gruppen:

It's fantastically difficult to think of anything that could adequately follow Janacek's From the House of the Dead (broadcast immediately before this) - the Messiaen and Stockhausen are two of the few works that could pull it off.
      There was an item re. this Gruppen performance on the Today Programme this morning. It starts 44'25" in and includes a comment by Rattle that KS had congratulated him on a performance of the work, but asked whether SR had personally tuned all the timps as required. Something of a red faced moment for SR.
      Last edited by Bryn; 30-06-18, 11:33. Reason: Link added.

Comment

• MrGongGong
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Bryn View Post
        There was an item re. this Gruppen performance on the Today Programme this morning. It starts 44'25" in and includes a comment by Rattle that KS had congratulated him on a performance of the work, but asked whether SR had personally tuned all the timps as required. Something of a red faced moment for SR.
        I didn't hear it
        but several folks (some of whom are playing in it) said that it seems to have neglected the fact that there 2 other conductors as well as Simon on his white horse riding in to save us all.

A great piece though and worth experiencing in the flesh

Comment

• Bryn
          Banned
          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
          I didn't hear it
          but several folks (some of whom are playing in it) said that it seems to have neglected the fact that there 2 other conductors as well as Simon on his white horse riding in to save us all.

Well, I seem to recall it failed to name them but did deal with, for instance, the need for separate rehearsals for the three conductors, without the orchestras. Oh, and on listening again, I think it was tom-toms, not timps he was upgraded for not personally tuning.

From the online schedule:

"The experience will also be made available on Wednesday evening in binaural sound."

How? There is no mention of it in Wednesday's schedule. I will try emailing RW if he or TS do not give further information during tonight's braodcast (which I will miss, due to attending a Beeb freebie at LSO St Luke's):

"Sara Mohr-Pietsch hosts a concert of cutting-edge new ‎music in the round, with performances from two ‎ensembles: The Hermes Experiment and Apartment ‎House, plus two soloists: pianist Joseph Havlat, and cellist ‎Severine Ballon."
          Last edited by Bryn; 30-06-18, 12:32. Reason: Update.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
            Gone fishin'
            • Sep 2011

Originally posted by MrGongGong View Post
            ... several folks (some of whom are playing in it) said that it seems to have neglected the fact that there 2 other conductors as well as Simon on his white horse riding in to save us all.

Indeed - composer/conductors Matthias Pintscher and Duncan Ward share the privileges of conducting the Stockhausen. Rattle can be said to be "helpless" in the Messiaen.

- I've only ever heard it "once" (actually twice on the same day, in different positions in the Barbican when the same orchestra - the LSO, which I sort-of also neglected in the body of the OP - performed it in the 1980s under Abbado, Downes and ... somebody else ).

Comment

• Alison
              • Nov 2010

Indeed - composer/conductors Matthias Pintscher and Duncan Ward share the privileges of conducting the Stockhausen. Rattle can be said to be "helpless" in the Messiaen.

- I've only ever heard it "once" (actually twice on the same day, in different positions in the Barbican when the same orchestra - the LSO, which I sort-of also neglected in the body of the OP - performed it in the 1980s under Abbado, Downes and ... somebody else ).
              James Judd. ( Born, like me, in Hertford.)

Comment

• hmvman
                • Mar 2007

Looking forward to hearing it in again in binaural. It seems the engineers needed a few days to do the binaural mix.

Comment

• ferneyhoughgeliebte
                  Gone fishin'
                  • Sep 2011

Comment

• Bryn
                    Banned
                    • Mar 2007

What kept you away from the Proms Stockhausen day which included the work? An aspect ration compromised version of the three generations of teacher/student CBSO performance can be found on YouTube. The correct aspect ratio can be found on one of the 'Leaving Home' DVDs, though the audio is still restricted to 2 channel stereo.

Comment

• Bryn
                      Banned
                      • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                      Looking forward to hearing it in again in binaural. It seems the engineers needed a few days to do the binaural mix.

https://www.gramophone.co.uk/blog/gr...ausens-gruppen
                      Any clearer hints yet as to how we might access the binaural mix via the iPlayer? I hope it turns up before 4 pm. That's around the time I have to leave for Prevost, Edwards and Moore to iklectik tonight.

Comment

• hmvman
                        • Mar 2007

Any clearer hints yet as to how we might access the binaural mix via the iPlayer? I hope it turns up before 4 pm. That's around the time I have to leave for Prevost, Edwards and Moore to iklectik tonight.
                        Not at the moment - just saying "...made available on Wednesday evening in binaural sound" on the programme page. Does that mean from Wednesday evening or only on Wednesday evening, I wonder.

Comment

• Bryn
                          Banned
                          • Mar 2007

Originally posted by hmvman View Post
                          Not at the moment - just saying "...made available on Wednesday evening in binaural sound" on the programme page. Does that mean from Wednesday evening or only on Wednesday evening, I wonder.
                          That is my worry, too. I will not get back home until the early hours of tomorrow morning. Hopefully, it will be the standard 30-day facility. I wonder whether they will try and remove the baby/young child's contribution?

Comment

• Bryn
                            Banned
                            • Mar 2007

All worries over. The binaural edit up and running as is presented as a 320kbps aac file. I look forward to listening to it on the morrow.

Comment

• hmvman
                              • Mar 2007

All worries over. The binaural edit up and running as is presented as a 320kbps aac file. I look forward to listening to it on the morrow.
                              Me too!

Comment

Working...
                              X