• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • DracoM
    Host
    • Mar 2007

BBC NoW and BBC Scot Symp

Just want to raise a flag for some excellent playing by two of the hardest working BBC ensembles over the last fortnight or so.

The high profile 'names' get notice, but these two largely unsung bands have done a lot to both entertain and delight in recent weeks.

Many thanks.
  • Wychwood
    • Aug 2017

Agreed. And let's not forget the BBC Philharmonic. Given the financial constraints on the BBC, could all these orchestras have survived unless they were performing consistently to the highest standards? Maybe this leads on to a thread on "Great Radio Orchestras of the World" !

Comment

• EdgeleyRob
      • Nov 2010

Hear hear

Comment

• antongould
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by DracoM View Post
        Just want to raise a flag for some excellent playing by two of the hardest working BBC ensembles over the last fortnight or so.

The high profile 'names' get notice, but these two largely unsung bands have done a lot to both entertain and delight in recent weeks.

Many thanks.
        Well said

Comment

• Richard Tarleton

Originally posted by DracoM View Post

Many thanks.
          Hear hear. I've just booked to hear BBC NOW live in Swansea's magnificent Brangwyn Hall on 4 May, playing Bruch 1 and Bruckner 7. I imagine it'll be broadcast subsequently if not live.

Comment

• DracoM
            Host
            • Mar 2007

Yes, of course BBC Phil. Didn't mean to leave them out - just that the two I named upthread have done particularly ear-catching stuff recently.

Comment

• LMcD
              • Sep 2017

Originally posted by Wychwood View Post
              Agreed. And let's not forget the BBC Philharmonic. Given the financial constraints on the BBC, could all these orchestras have survived unless they were performing consistently to the highest standards? Maybe this leads on to a thread on "Great Radio Orchestras of the World" !
              The Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra is among the very best, I would say. And I'm very happy with my 2-CD set of Brahms symphonies with the NDR under Gunter Wand. If former radio orchestras are to be included, how about the NBC and CBS 'house bands'?
              I recently started a thread which raised the issue of an apparent disregard of BBC regional orchestras at the Proms. If memory serves, the BBC SSO gave us some wonderful Vaughan Williams symphonies under Andrew Manze a few years ago.

Comment

• Bryn
                Banned
                • Mar 2007

Originally posted by LMcD View Post
                The Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra is among the very best, I would say. And I'm very happy with my 2-CD set of Brahms symphonies with the NDR under Gunter Wand. If former radio orchestras are to be included, how about the NBC and CBS 'house bands'?
                I recently started a thread which raised the issue of an apparent disregard of BBC regional orchestras at the Proms. If memory serves, the BBC SSO gave us some wonderful Vaughan Williams symphonies under Andrew Manze a few years ago.
                They also gave us some fine Cage, Feldman, Wolff, Cardew, Rzewski, et al.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                  Late Member
                  • Nov 2010

LmCD, couldn't agree more about that! I must make amends by listening more often!
                  Don’t cry for me
                  I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

Working...
                  X