Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius from King's College Cambridge 30.03.18 - 7.30 p.m.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Eine Alpensinfonie
    Host
    • Nov 2010

Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius from King's College Cambridge 30.03.18 - 7.30 p.m.

Live from King's College, Cambridge, Christopher Robinson conducts the BBC Concert Orchestra, Philharmonia Chorus and soloists in Elgar's masterpiece, The Dream of Gerontius, as part of the Easter at King's Festival. First performed in Birmingham in 1900 it has remained one of his most popular and enduring works. Presented by Donald Macleod.

Elgar: The Dream of Gerontius

Kathryn Rudge (mezzo)
    Brenden Gunnell (tenor)
    David Stout (baritone)
    Philharmonia Chorus
    BBC Concert Orchestra, conductor Christopher Robinson.
  • Andrew Slater
    • Mar 2007

This might turn out to be something special. Definitely worth a listen.

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
      Host
      • Nov 2010

Not the kind of repertoire associated with the BBC CO. It's a pity the Choir of KKC won't be available for the semi-chorus (as they were in Britten's recording).

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
        Host
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
        Not the kind of repertoire associated with the BBC CO. It's a pity the Choir of KKC won't be available for the semi-chorus (as they were in Britten's recording).
        Agreed, and sad to note that (understandably) Stephen Cleobury isn't yet up to directing the concert, as originally billed.
        "...the isle is full of noises,
        Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
        Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
        Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
          Host
          • Nov 2010

No problems with the orchestra. I'm less happy with the singing of Kathryn Rudge, and the Philharmonia Chorus has too many distracting wobblers. I've long felt that the Angel can make or break a Gerontius performance.

Comment

• ardcarp
            Late member
            • Nov 2010

Agreed, and sad to note that (understandably) Stephen Cleobury isn't yet up to directing the concert, as originally billed.
            Christopher Robinson, however, is a very experienced orchestral conductor indeed, and has a long track-record with Gerontius.

Comment

• DracoM
              Host
              • Mar 2007

arcarp: you need to slim down your private messages box!

Comment

• ardcarp
                Late member
                • Nov 2010

Comment

• Pabmusic
                  • May 2011

Originally posted by Eine Alpensinfonie View Post
                  I agree. But the Concert Orchestra famously did RVW 6 at a Prom with Handley.

Comment

• BBMmk2
                    Late Member
                    • Nov 2010

Worth a listen? I was having misgivings about this concert.
                    Don’t cry for me
                    I go where music was born

J S Bach 1685-1750

Comment

• Eine Alpensinfonie
                      Host
                      • Nov 2010

I was very disappointed (Angel and chorus). I recorded it, but I'm tempted to wipe it.

Comment

• Andrew Slater
                        • Mar 2007

Just goes to show how wrong I can be!

Comment

• ardcarp
                          Late member
                          • Nov 2010

For family reasons (noise and bustle!) I couldn't really concentrate fully, but what I heard of Brenden Gunnell's Gerontius was pretty good. It's a taxing role, both physically and emotionally.

Comment

• LeMartinPecheur
                            • Apr 2007

Here's one I 'made' earlier for a friend who's going big on the work at present, with necessary editing:

"[Mrs LMP] and I listened to DoG. Very decent but far from great in our opinion. All soloists made nice noises but Angel had too little projection: she was singing the notes right but never sounded like she was singing them to anyone, not to Gerontius nor to the audience. So no excitement, but Dame JB does rather spoil one...

Bass pretty decent but not a difficult part dramatically compared to the other two. Best was the tenor we thought, we'd definitely cross the street to hear him again. Hadn't heard of any of them previously - think the bass was a late sub, different name in Radio Times. Choir, orch and conductor all very good."
                            I keep hitting the Escape key, but I'm still here!

Comment

• Once Was 4
                              • Jul 2011

Originally posted by LeMartinPecheur View Post
                              Here's one I 'made' earlier for a friend who's going big on the work at present, with necessary editing:

"[Mrs LMP] and I listened to DoG. Very decent but far from great in our opinion. All soloists made nice noises but Angel had too little projection: she was singing the notes right but never sounded like she was singing them to anyone, not to Gerontius nor to the audience. So no excitement, but Dame JB does rather spoil one...

Bass pretty decent but not a difficult part dramatically compared to the other two. Best was the tenor we thought, we'd definitely cross the street to hear him again. Hadn't heard of any of them previously - think the bass was a late sub, different name in Radio Times. Choir, orch and conductor all very good."
                              Now was it me? Is my 70-year-old hearing letting me down? Is my radio duff? Or was there a very strange balance to the sound? The great climactic choruses were, well, not climactic; indeed the supposedly hushed opening had far more impact than Praise to the Holiest.Nothing scary about the demons. Or am I just too used to be in the middle of this wonderful work having played it many times.

Certainly it showed what a fine versatile ensemble the BBC Concert Orchestra is.

This morning I played second horn in sections of the Mozart Coronation Mass as part of an Easter Day service. Could a genuine atheist have written either of these life (and death!) affirming works - and others like them. Discuss.

Comment

Working...
                              X