Fewer Smart things. More smart people.
  • ardcarp
    Late member
    • Nov 2010

Something about minimalism on BBC4.

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

I see Robin Boyle died as long ago as 2003.

Comment

• Petrushka
        • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
        I see Robin Boyle died as long ago as 2003.
        Jimmy Kingsbury used to present FNIMN in my day but can't find much information about him on the web. FNIMN was an ideal introduction to lots of light classical music in those days and I remember the show with much affection.

On the other hand, having an enforced day off work due to no trains a glance at the R3 schedule made me turn elsewhere for my music today.
        "The sound is the handwriting of the conductor" - Bernard Haitink

Comment

• french frank
          Administrator/Moderator
          • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Petrushka View Post
          FNIMN was an ideal introduction to lots of light classical music in those days and I remember the show with much affection.
          I don't think there's much classical music any more. Just as Radio 2 dropped Your Hundred Best Tunes and Melodies for You (and The Organist Entertains goes in May), so FNIMN became predominantly musicals, jazz and pop. But the next move will surely be for FNIMN to move to Radio 3?
          It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• Anastasius
            • Mar 2015

Originally posted by french frank View Post
            I don't think there's much classical music any more. Just as Radio 2 dropped Your Hundred Best Tunes and Melodies for You (and The Organist Entertains goes in May), so FNIMN became predominantly musicals, jazz and pop. But the next move will surely be for FNIMN to move to Radio 3?
            Judging by yesterday afternoon's programme I thought that it had.
            Fewer Smart things. More smart people.

Comment

• french frank
              Administrator/Moderator
              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by Anastasius View Post
              Judging by yesterday afternoon's programme I thought that it had.
              No doubt because the BBC Concert Orchestra was having its turn, and that is its bread and butter. Not sure that Radio 2 would have given them time for Arnold, Elgar and Lambert. The first hour might have been a 'concert' but thereafter it was odd pieces.
              It isn't given us to know those rare moments when people are wide open and the lightest touch can wither or heal. A moment too late and we can never reach them any more in this world.

Comment

• PJPJ
                • Nov 2010

No doubt because the BBC Concert Orchestra was having its turn, and that is its bread and butter. Not sure that Radio 2 would have given them time for Arnold, Elgar and Lambert. The first hour might have been a 'concert' but thereafter it was odd pieces.
                Indeed - and I enjoyed the Coates, Hope, Patterson and Farnon, too. I wish I'd been there.......

Other BBC Concert Orchestra contributions included works by Percy Sherwood and Frederic Cowen, due for release on EM soon.

Further information here:

Also played was an excerpt from this fine disc:

Perhaps I ought to practise my snootiness about this fare. I am rather pleased to hear these via R3 - R2's sound quality isn't a patch on R3's.

Comment

• french frank
                  Administrator/Moderator
                  • Feb 2007

Originally posted by PJPJ View Post
                  Perhaps I ought to practise my snootiness about this fare. I am rather pleased to hear these via R3 - R2's sound quality isn't a patch on R3's.
                  I think it's a leetle unfair to dismiss it as 'snootiness' . There is an awful lot of music on R1, R2, 6Music, CFM &c which would sound better in Radio 3's sound quality.

Comment

• PJPJ
                    • Nov 2010

I think it's a leetle unfair to dismiss it as 'snootiness' . There is an awful lot of music on R1, R2, 6Music, CFM &c which would sound better in Radio 3's sound quality.
                    Quite so, especially CFM. As to the other matter, I'm not sure R2 would give house room to Eric Coates and Bob Farnon these days, never mind Lambert and co.... Bring back Brian Kay and his few minutes a week of Light Music on R3.

Cue Bateman cartoon.......

Comment

• french frank
                      Administrator/Moderator
                      • Feb 2007

Cue Bateman cartoon.......

The man who lit his cigar before the Loyal Toast - the cad!

Comment

• PJPJ
                        • Nov 2010

The man who lit his cigar before the Loyal Toast - the cad!
                        I love them!

Comment

• cloughie
                          • Dec 2011

There is also a lot of quality music which would sound good on R1, R2 6Music, CFM ....

Comment

• cloughie
                            • Dec 2011

Quite so, especially CFM. As to the other matter, I'm not sure R2 would give house room to Eric Coates and Bob Farnon these days, never mind Lambert and co....
                            Doesn't have much time for proper songs these days either! Wall to wall pop songs of ever decreasing quality as it aims at an ever younger audience to accommodate superannuated R1 DJs!

Comment

• french frank
                              Administrator/Moderator
                              • Feb 2007

Originally posted by cloughie View Post
                              Doesn't have much time for proper songs these days either! Wall to wall pop songs of ever decreasing quality as it aims at an ever younger audience to accommodate superannuated R1 DJs!
                              Yes, and my point was that just because other stations are allowed to go their own way shouldn't mean that airtime for what they've decided to drop from their remit should be allocated on Radio 3. And if Radio 2 is encouraged to redouble its efforts to attract the biggest 'biggest audience' anywhere in the UK, why is it not allowed for Radio 3 to attract the smallest?

Comment

Working...
                              X