• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Pianorak
    • Nov 2010

XIV International Tchaikovsky Competition

Originally posted by mercia View Post
    . . . webcast of the Tchaikovsky competition
    http://www.tchaikovsky-competition.com/en/press/webcast)
    Anybody following this? Yeol Eum Son from S.Korea playing right now (Schumann, Shchedrin and Liszt).

Her programme:
    1. R. Schumann: Humoreske
    2. N. Kapustin: Variation No. 41
    3. R. Shchedrin: Tchaikovsky Concert Etude
    4. F. Liszt: Spanish Rhapsody.
    Most enjoyable performance, wide dynamic range, beautiful tone – no banging (as far as one could tell on webcast). The Kapustin nearly brought her a standing ovation. I noticed jury members Peter Donahoe and Barry Douglas seemed quite impressed.

Yesterday I caught Sara Daneshpour (USA) playing the Corelli Variations (Rach) and Prokofiev Toccata extremely well. I missed her opening Scarlatti but heard part of the Franck Prelude, Chorale and Fugue (a rather wayward interpretation imo).
    Last edited by Pianorak; 21-06-11, 15:28.
    My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)
  • gradus
    • Nov 2010

I heard a young Russian (Philip??) playing Kreisleriana last night, very quixotic romantic interpretation but totally engaging. I wonder if there are any players from these Isles competing?

Comment

• Pianorak
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by gradus View Post
      . . . any players from these Isles competing?
      Don't think so - at least none listed.

Next webcast starts at 7pm Moscow time (4pm BST). Swiss pianist Francois-Xavier Poizat.
      My life, each morning when I dress, is four and twenty hours less. (J Richardson)

Comment

• Freddie Campbell

...You do realize there was a bit of an uproar when round1 Competator stormed the Platform during a Colleagues' Recital yesterday?

Comment

• Pianorak
          • Nov 2010

Glad to see that Yeol Eum Son is through to the next round , as is Alexei Chernov whom I heard this evening. A bit surprised that Pavel Kolesnikov didn't make it. Francois-Xavier Poizat didn't go through either, but not surprised. Can't comment on the others who are through to the next round.

Russia is represented by 17 out of the 29 competitors this year, USA = 1, UK = Zero. Food for thought?
          Would be nice if Leeds could arrange a similar webcast.

Next time you are upset about a mobile going off during a piano recital at Wigmore Hall spare a thought for our American presenter tonight who complained that during each performance there were anything up to 15 mobiles ringing despite the fact that audiences were asked to turn off their mobiles. A request apparently religiously ignored by all and sundry.
          Last edited by Pianorak; 21-06-11, 22:07.

Comment

• Pianorak
            • Nov 2010

Gold Medal/First Prize : Daniil Trifonov.
            Silver Medal/Second Prize : Yeol Eum Son

Couldn't be more pleased.

Bronze Medal/Third Prize: Seong Jin Cho
            Fourth Prize: Alexander Romanovsky
            Fifth Prize: Alexei Chernov

Comment

• Keybawd

Trifonov also won third prize and the Mazurka prize in the Chopin Competition last year. And he has just won the Rubinstein prize. Quite a collection!

Comment

Working...
              X