X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Alison
    • Nov 2010

Pablo Heras-Casado

This conductor has really impressed me. I was at the Philharmonia concert of Debussy and Ravel to be broadcast tonight, performances of some authority and distinction. Freshness without micromanagement.

At one time I confused him with Andres Orozco-Estrada!

His name has come up in several threads over the months; a broad repertoire working with groups such as the Freiburger Barockorchester, Orchestra of St Luke's, Concerto Koln and Symphonieorchester des BAyerischen Rundfunks.

A London appointment would be most welcome!

Any comments or views gladly received; meanwhile do tune in tonight.
  • Stanfordian
    • Dec 2010

Originally posted by Alison View Post
    This conductor has really impressed me. I was at the Philharmonia concert of Debussy and Ravel to be broadcast tonight, performances of some authority and distinction. Freshness without micromanagement.

At one time I confused him with Andres Orozco-Estrada!

His name has come up in several threads over the months; a broad repertoire working with groups such as the Freiburger Barockorchester, Orchestra of St Luke's, Concerto Koln and Symphonieorchester des BAyerischen Rundfunks.

A London appointment would be most welcome!

Any comments or views gladly received; meanwhile do tune in tonight.
    Hiya Alison,

I thoroughly agree about the talents of Pablo Heras-Casado. I have reviewed 2 of his albums and very impressive they are too:

Mendelssohn Symphony No. 2 'Lobgesang' - Bavarian Radio Chorus & Symphony Orchestra - Harmonia Mundi
    Shostakovich Cello Concertos - Alisa Weilerstein (cello) - Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra - Decca

Comment

• Alison
      • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Stanfordian View Post
      Hiya Alison,

I thoroughly agree about the talents of Pablo Heras-Casado. I have reviewed 2 of his albums and very impressive they are too:

Mendelssohn Symphony No. 2 'Lobgesang' - Bavarian Radio Chorus & Symphony Orchestra - Harmonia Mundi
      Shostakovich Cello Concertos - Alisa Weilerstein (cello) - Bavarian Radio Symphony Orchestra - Decca
      I’d like to hear both of those. Interesting that his Reformation Symphony is with the Freiburg ensemble mentioned.

Have just ordered Tchaikovsky 1 ‘Winter Daydreams’.

Was really impressed by his clear and batonless beat. Not much ego in his demeanour either!

Comment

• Beef Oven!
        Ex-member
        • Sep 2013

Coincidentally, he conducts that Bartok disc we were talking about ......

Comment

• Alison
          • Nov 2010

Positive comments on his contribution from HighlandDoug too.

Comment

• Tony Halstead
            • Nov 2010

I’d like to hear both of those. Interesting that his Reformation Symphony is with the Freiburg ensemble mentioned.

Have just ordered Tchaikovsky 1 ‘Winter Daydreams’.

Was really impressed by his clear and batonless beat. Not much ego in his demeanour either!
            Oh dear oh dear.... batonless conductors make life very difficult for orchestral players!
            Although he was ( mostly) very clear if you were close enough to him, or had good eyesight, it could be a bit of a nightmare playing for e.g. Boulez.

Comment

• jayne lee wilson
              Banned
              • Jul 2011

I'm already a huge fan, thanks to his Schumann and Schubert series with the Freiburg Baroque and various soloists.... the 3 albums of Schumann Concertos (c/w exceptionally-played Piano Trios using the same soloists, Faust/Queyras/Melnikov) are outstanding in both sound and interpretations - even the so-familiar Piano Concerto leaps into new life again!
              Et voilà..
              https://www.qobuz.com/gb-en/search?q...ann&i=boutique

Last summer there was the Mendelssohn 5, c/w the Violin Concerto with Isabelle Faust, again with the Freiburg Baroque (it is a very special partnership), one of my records of the year...
              The Schubert 3 & 4 is as recreatively inventive as you could imagine...

Marvellously fresh performances of some of the music I love the most!
              Last edited by jayne lee wilson; 05-02-18, 22:36.

Comment

• Alison
                • Nov 2010

Thanks Jayne, I thought you were a fan.

In a fit of enthusiasm I downloaded the Schubert symphonies as soon as I got back from the Philharmonia concert and superb they are. Easy to imagine Isabelle Faust and Pablo being a fine meeting of minds so the Mendelssohn disc ranks high on the wanted list.

A really enjoyable Monday evening listening to the Debussy/Ravel concert again.

Comment

• Nick Armstrong
                  Host
                  • Nov 2010

A really enjoyable Monday evening listening to the Debussy/Ravel concert again.
                  I caught the Ravel concerto when I got in - sounded great, and I said to myself 'perfect tempi'... and promptly went to look up who the conductor was.
                  "...the isle is full of noises,
                  Sounds and sweet airs, that give delight and hurt not.
                  Sometimes a thousand twangling instruments
                  Will hum about mine ears, and sometime voices..."

Comment

• Alison
                    • Nov 2010

Originally posted by Caliban View Post
                    I caught the Ravel concerto when I got in - sounded great, and I said to myself 'perfect tempi'... and promptly went to look up who the conductor was.
                    and easy to forget just what a marvellous work it is, one I hardly ever play on disc.
                    Last edited by Alison; 06-02-18, 09:28.

Comment

• Barbirollians
                      • Nov 2010

I am with Stan re his accompaniment of the Shostakovich cello concertos with Alisa Weilerstein . Wonderfully transparent textures and do much detail can be heard .

Comment

• bluestateprommer
                        • Nov 2010

If this on-line review is any indication, PH-C might be in the running for the music directorship of the San Francisco Symphony:

Have never seen PH-C conduct live, but have heard a few of his recordings. Good, if not necessarily mind-blowing to my ears, but to mis-paraphrase Aaron Copland, good is OK.

Comment

Working...
                        X